What size and torque for front wheel bearings?

• Sponsors (?)

I have to replace my front wheel bearings tommorow. What size socket do I need, what torque should I set them at?

Can I use a wrench? thanks guys

If you are thinking of an adjustable wrench, no. The wheel hub nut is torqued to between 221-295 lb-ft. The bearings are part of the hub assembly and are not serviced separately. The hub cap grease seal and hub retainer must not be reused. Use of an impact wrench will damage the bearing. I don't recall the size but I'm thinking around 1 1/4".

If you are thinking of an adjustable wrench, no. The wheel hub nut is torqued to between 221-295 lb-ft. The bearings are part of the hub assembly and are not serviced separately. The hub cap grease seal and hub retainer must not be reused. Use of an impact wrench will damage the bearing. I don't recall the size but I'm thinking around 1 1/4".

It's like a 30mm or a 32mm, something like that. And use of an impact will most definately not damage the bearing. It's sleeved all the way through. Unless you have some rediculous huge torque wrench, pretty much the only way to get over 221ft lbs. of torque is with an impact gun.

Kurt

It's like a 30mm or a 32mm, something like that. And use of an impact will most definately not damage the bearing. It's sleeved all the way through. Unless you have some rediculous huge torque wrench, pretty much the only way to get over 221ft lbs. of torque is with an impact gun.

Kurt

The reference to damaging the bearing using an impact wrench is a direct quote from the Ford service manual.

If you can rent a "Hub and Wheel Bearing" kit from your local auto store, the right sized socket should be in there. I had to buy a torque wrench that could go to 300ft-lbs to tighten that nut.

Be careful what dust shields you buy. I bought a set that was SUPPOSED to be for our cars, but was too small. I had to re-use my old dust shields to get back on the road.