What Spark Plug to buy

krispy521

Dec 9, 2005
Hi, I have a 2002 Mustang GT. Mods include K&N Filtercharger, underdrive pulleys, off road x-pipe, Bassani cat back exhaust, and custom SCT tuner at 93 octane.

What spark plug should I buy for the most performance? I want to do a plug change before I hit the dragway this weekend.

• Sponsors (?)

It looks like my local stores....Autozone...Advanced Auto....and Pep boys are all moving to the platnum one. I can't find the copper one anywhere. Is there an alternative? I have Bosch Platnum +2's in there now. Should I just leave them?

How many miles are on them? Motorcraft stuff is good for 100K+. My 97 F150 has 128,000 with the stock plugs and it runs great.

But to answer your question, I'd only install stock Motorcraft parts.

Be carefull doing plugs, a lot of guys have blown spark plugs outta their heads after plug changes. It happened to me. I didn't do the plug change, but apparently the previous owner did. The plug was a Champion and it took all the damn threads. :(

Not many of us have the best of luck with Bosch parts on our cars. Seems like they tend to cause some issues for whatever reason.

Just be careful changing the plugs. Do them when the motor is stone cold (as in after it's been sitting overnight). Do not under or over-torque the threads. Plug blowout is a serious, and somewhat common issue.

While copper plugs have a hotter spark and are typically the least expensive type of plug, they do require much shorter change intervals. The 4.6 came with platinum plugs which should last about 100K miles, while the copper plugs should last between 10K and 30K miles.

If you don't mind doing the maintenance yourself and it makes you feel good knowing you have a hot spark, get the coppers. On the otherhand, if you are paying to have the service done/don't like doing your own maintenance, and could care less if your spark is not as hot, go with the platinum.

While copper plugs have a hotter spark and are typically the least expensive type of plug, they do require much shorter change intervals. The 4.6 came with platinum plugs which should last about 100K miles, while the copper plugs should last between 10K and 30K miles.

If you don't mind doing the maintenance yourself and it makes you feel good knowing you have a hot spark, get the coppers. On the otherhand, if you are paying to have the service done/don't like doing your own maintenance, and could care less if your spark is not as hot, go with the platinum.

That makes perfect sense. I do enjoy changing out the plugs since it is easy. I will try to order some copper ones since the local stores do not carry them anymore. Thank you everyone for your input.