What The Hell Happened To This Forum?

let's see if my contribution will wake up Zookeeper's thread......
In 1985 at the age of 24 and 22, me and my 22 month younger sibling purchased a 2 acre chunk of land with an old metal shop building on it in a rural area to work on our old Mustangs without the constant interference from nosey neighbors who should have subscribed to cable to keep them occupied. The former owners husband was a heavy truck mechanic at local Ford Dealer down in the big town or small city of Huntsville that we moved from. Ford man's old shop, good karma. it wasn't long before old Mustang owners passing by found us and the time spent on our own shifted to customer Mustangs. Not a bad thing as far as income goes but really cuts into the time that one has to work on their own projects. around 1988 the first running 1965 2+2 crossed our path and we purchased it. A now Poppy Red (later found out that it was formerly Wimbledon White from the factory) 1965 2+2 with a standard black interior. It had a smoking and I mean smoking visually 200 6 cylinder engine and a C-4 automatic. No extras. No AC, no power steering etc. It wasn't too long after that that we put a headliner in a guy's 67 coupe that recently had a Fred Jones 6 cyl installed. He drove it home and before he could get to his driveway someone pulled out in front of him and as a result it was totaled. To make a long story short, we ended up with the salvage and used the 200 in the 65. It ran great ! and I was impressed with the power of a 1bbl that a little 200 could put out. I think around 100 horse power.
1965pr101.jpg

A lot of time was spent in the old 'stang driving it locally but a memorable trip was a 4.5 hour drive down to Auburn (War Eagle) to our Sister's graduation in 1990. We just knew that we were going to have a flat tire on the way. We loaded up our best 2 4 lug 14" spares and a floor jack. It all just fit in the compact FB trunk. Less than 2 hours into our trip, we were passing a Motorhome complete with a small car "in tow" and all of a sudden we blew a RR tire. The inside of the vehicle filled with tire smoke like something you would see watching a NASCAR race on TV, Brother exclaimed "You got it?" and I hollered back "Oh yeah" .I remember the Mustang shifting enough to the left that we were in the grassy median and i'm turning right by now to climb the vehicle back up on to the pavement. We stopped on the shoulder on the right side of the interstate, I-65 and much to our surprise the tire was still inflated. Now it resembles a Fox Body mini-spare. We had lost the entire tread and busted open the wheelhouse during this little incident. We weren't far from one of the many Cullman exits and we quickly drove to the closest one, pulled into a convenient store, popped the trunk open, pulled out the jack, breaker bar and one of the spares and did a tire change in about 1.5 minutes. Not Nascar fast but faster than most people around here change one. I remember a small audience and then we were quickly on our way. The rest of our trip went well with nothing else to report with the exception of it was a long drive coming back the same night.
There is more to this Mustang's story that I can't tell right now but I will continue at the latest a week from now. Stay tuned !

• Sponsors (?)

Funny, I ran across this thread today right after me and 'the girl at the other end of the couch' were talking about trying to get my 67 fastback from the kid I sold it to. I 've checked on it several times over the years and he has never tagged it so I'm hoping it's still in his grandfathers garage.
i'm usually annoying the members on the fox forums, I guess I can annoy ya'll too!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
1965pr101.jpg
Postscript to part 1: As a result of the right rear tread separation, One day when I was following the Fastback, I noticed that the right rear wheel had a wobble. My first thought was the stock steel wheel was bent. I changed the wheel, and while it was on the jack I had someone sit in the seat and start it. When it was in gear, it still wobbled. I removed the wheel/tire combo and watched the axle flange as it turned. Bent axle. When the tread separated and slapped the wheelhouse it bent the axle. Anyone who has worked on these 6 cyl rear ends (differential) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_(mechanical_device) knows that they are of a very light weight design. We replaced the old 4 lugger with an 8" out of a '77 Granada. We had some Magnum 500's sitting around with some half decent 70's on them. That looked pretty good with the Magnums. Do you remember the 2 spares? Now there has to be one 4 lug and one 5 lug spare in the trunk (because the front end is still 4 lug 6 cylinder variation. Soon to come...Granada front discs conversion (hopefully).

Part 2 of the Poppy Red '65 Fastback:
"Uncovering Wimbledon White"
It was sometime in the spring of 1990 and that is a memorable spring because me and Kenbro were commuting 60 mile round trip, 6 and 7 days a week to a very large Body Shop to a temporary job fixing hale damaged vehicles, 12 hours a day minimum. If you ever want to improve your filler work and blocking skills, this is the way to do it and I guarantee that there will be other body-men in the shop with more experience and some of them will be friendly enough to share some tips.
One day during lunch (a Snickers, bag of Doritos and a Coke) we decided to see how easy the old pealing Poppy Red paint would come off of the old Stang. In about 30 minutes, 3 of us had razor bladed a good bit of the surface. Now not every old paint job will come off like this but if it will, watch out. Paint chips will be flying everywhere. (wear glasses if you do this). Under the Poppy Red was some cheap gray lacquer primer and some of the original Wimbledon White factory paint. (I like the Poppy Red better). For those of you who don't know what Poppy Red looks like...IT LOOKS ORANGE Y'ALL !!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Been away from forums for quite awhile too but just recently got the itch to do more to my stang. Finally going to install the stereo system I've had sitting on a shelf for the past 6 years and also hope to get the 3pt seat belts installed.

Reactions: 1 users
Glad to see some new faces and old friends still stopping by this thread from time to time. Funny how time flies, isn't it. I pulled my '68 out last Saturday and since we have lots of wildfires here in southern Oregon right now, my white car looked red-ish. Then I thought back to the last time it looked that way. The first week I got the car finished there was also wildfires and I took some pictures to commemorate the car running after a 6 year build. In that picture, the parking lights hadn't been installed yet and the rocker stripes weren't on. My son was almost 8 years old and I was getting the car ready to enter the local big show in our town. Then it hit me that was exactly ten years ago last Thursday! Since then, I found a better job, moved from California to Oregon, put a few miles on the car, almost sold the car to buy a house, decided not to thanks to some creative financing, bought another house and my son is now nearly 18 and towers over me. I drive the car as often as I can but really it's not much. I bought the car in '01 and still haven't put 10K miles on it total, and only about 5K miles since '08. It still looks great to me, only has a couple minor chips in the paint and still runs strong. Life sure goes by in a hurry sometimes...
UrSPSwf.jpg

Loading the car for it's last day in California

PTBGgBA.jpg

The '68 with it's garage-mate, my wife's '02 Roush

Last edited:
Ive not posted in a year, have not gotten much done but I recently started to get a little bit of time to work on my coupe again and then the project snowballed lol.

It started with some new LED tail lamps that wouldn't work properly (ground issue) so I replaced the tail light harness and then the steering column harness. That lead to a bigger short with smoke, due to how the previous owner hacked the main harness. So now my interior is gutted, main wiring harness is torn out, rear quarter panels and steering column are stripped an premiered, need to strip the dash and doors next. Once that is done ill paint it all - it was needing it regardless and then ill install a new harness. So all of this because my new tail lights wouldn't work right lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1365.JPG
    IMG_1365.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 140
LOL! Sounds like me a couple years ago. I had a drain on my battery and couldn't find it so I rewired the entire car. Once it was done I had the same problem. The issue turned out to be a relay in my fuel injection harness. Replaced the relay and all was good. At least I feel better now that the wiring is all new.

It has been a long time since I have been on this site. I will try to stop by more often.

I started looking at this site 3 years ago when I bought the '67 coupe which came with a '68 "Redneck" convertible for parts. (The redneck car had had the hardtop hacked off) About a year ago a kid came and offered to pay me what I was into the car and all the parts. Apparently he was taken home from the hospital in the car. I sold it to him, (duh! I couldn't feel good about not) and have been Mustangless until recently. The new one is a '71 stock car for which I traded my Crown Vic. Someone put a nice cage in this body, and I've been adding power to it in the form of a '99 Explorer motor with GT40p heads, and a C-5 trans. I'll be putting 6.00 gears in the 9" in order to compete on a 1/4 mile paved track in Lake Havasu City.
LeftFrt.jpg

That's what we come here for, right? Lol
I bought the car with this number on it. It won't be the same when I'm done. The last thing a stock car gets is paint and graphics, and since 1985, my number has always been 8 (Yes that's many years before Dale JR comandeered it).
Trying to fit the headers on this car, and the 411 is; GT40P shorty headers designed for an SN97 will NOT fit a '71-'73. The headers were a "get these out of my garage" gift, so now, we have to choose an R&P setup which lets the headers fit, or new headers which fit the GT40P heads and miss the '71 steering box.

Resurrecting a cool old thread.
I gave up on the 5.0 with GT40P heads (it's sitting in a corner waiting for the next project) and went with a 351C which a local guy sold to me cheap. I've since painted the car, and attempted a few race meets, but I've had leaks and smoke and haven't finished any races yet. But we're having fun, right? 351CinMustang20200120flashResize.jpg NewPaintLf20201113.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Glad to read everyone’s stories. Thanks for adding stuff. Here’s some stories of my own. My ‘68, which has been the model of reliability, ruined the cam. So I thought, “no big deal, a couple hundred bucks”. Once I got it apart, I decided that I should swap on better heads, so I ordered a pair of Edelbrock heads, then a gear drive because I like them, then found a bent pushrod so I ordered new ones. By the time it was running my account was a few bucks lighter but the car hauls ass, lol. Not long after, I got sick of driving my ‘05 Focus for a daily. It was a great car, but boring to look at and boring to drive. So I sold it and started driving my wife’s ‘02 Roush. But I never liked the way it looked so I dropped it a touch, put on the right size tires and changed out the hokey aftermarket headlights for new Ford headlights. That lasted about two months until it started raining and she wasn’t thrilled seeing her baby driven in wet weather. Soooo...desperate times call for desperate measures. She actually found a super clean ‘01 Bullitt Mustang that we bought for my new daily. Crappy year for all of us but building and buying car stuff has made it better. Plus I’m starting a new job next year so hopefully ‘21 is a better year for all of us
82970F1A-275A-4500-BA09-212759D7A9B2.jpeg
9BEB003A-2752-4B7E-B172-9D2C03DA6865.jpeg
626FA111-B994-4858-B7DC-09BC0B55FEAA.jpeg

I am afraid i cant see 2021 any better than 2020 . I sold my 69 Mustang ,my 1935 ford pick up ,my nephews /Johnnys car, 67 Shelby replica to buy the property next door . All was going great until the renters from the owners decided they are not going to move ,thank you goober Newsom ! Not that they cant afford to move ,they just decided not to so i had to back out of the deal . Yeah ,it cost me !.
January i lost an uncle to lung cancer ,two days ago i lost another uncle ,he went in for back surgery and never came out .
Now that i am out a few cars and a few thousand dollars i am considering retiring , i will still be working on my cars and maybe a few in betweens but i have had enough of this year !

• Sad
I am afraid i cant see 2021 any better than 2020 . I sold my 69 Mustang ,my 1935 ford pick up ,my nephews /Johnnys car, 67 Shelby replica to buy the property next door . All was going great until the renters from the owners decided they are not going to move ,thank you goober Newsom ! Not that they cant afford to move ,they just decided not to so i had to back out of the deal . Yeah ,it cost me !.
January i lost an uncle to lung cancer ,two days ago i lost another uncle ,he went in for back surgery and never came out .
Now that i am out a few cars and a few thousand dollars i am considering retiring , i will still be working on my cars and maybe a few in betweens but i have had enough of this year !
Sure hope things got better for you. <3