What to do about minor floor rust....

Prime Lord

Crappy Default Title
Founding Member
Sep 19, 2000
Denver-ish
So I started dissasembling my interior because I'm going to dynamat the entire inner body, and when it came time to pull the carpet up, I found this under the passenger seat:
photo06jx5.jpg

photo07oq6.jpg

Its not bad enough to warrant a new floor pan, but something needs to be done. What would you suggest?

Also, hurray for no interior!

photo08br4.jpg

/no hurray for cell phone camera, though.....

Attachments

• photo06jx5.jpg
    photo06jx5.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 56
  • photo07oq6.jpg
    photo07oq6.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 57
  • photo08br4.jpg
    photo08br4.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 49
  • Sponsors (?)

Just knock it off with a wire wheel and repaint it. Not hard at all. I am going thru the same thing. If you dont have a grinder, they make wire wheels for a drill. If no drill (heaven forbid) bust out the ole sandpaper.

You call that rust lol see my sig link...

Anyway just use a grinder wheel (or wire brush - less chance of taking off too much metal) to remove all the surface rust. If you're lucky the rust is only surface rust. I'd use a self etching primer or rust stopper before applying any paint.

Remove the factory sealer, grind, primer and apply new sealer too. Rust is there for a reason, there has to be a small leak somewhere. Mostly it's going to be the factory sealer that came loose...

Snikt89GT said:
Why add all of that weight in the first place?

First, its not "all that weight" it'd be like adding a chick to the car. But that's irrelevent. For me, its about making the interior that much nicer. Being a T-Top car, its draftier and noiser than a trunker or hatchback. So for me its all about reducing rattles, road & wind noise, and increasing sound quality of my stereo. I'm not drag racing, so my ET can suck it.