What to do/Where to start

darthcual

Mar 31, 2005
Arlington, TX
Just looking for opinions here. I have a 93 GT that I have recently rescued. It has some nice parts on it already up to and including BBK Long tube headers/underdrive pullies/Tremec 3550/70mm BBK TB/X-pipe mated to flowmasters/Steeda STS/3:73 gears/Aluminum DS/Caster camber plates of unknown origin.

I know the general concensus is build it from the ground up, and the inside out. However, I simply just cant stand the paint, cowl, door moldings, quarter window moldings, headlights, etc. So, instead of doing a top end kit, I was thinking of doing the paint and body first.

I've redone the suspension already so that is good to go. Mechanically the car is sound besides a few small oil leaks. The windshield could use replacing and the rear end makes a clanging noise in the pumpkin when I put her in reverse.

Just not sure what I should spend the money on first. I'll put some pics up so you can have an idea of what I'm babbling about.

rosie.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, that faded front nose is killing me! If the car is mechanically sound like you said, then I'd go for paint if you have the money. I know everyone will have other opinions but that's just me. Will you keep it the same color?

If you're not in a rush just take your time with the other stuff. Little by little work on it and you'll get there! Congrats BTW!!!

I agree with citmov, sounds like it's a nice runner with enough parts to make it fun to drive as is...I am in the same position with my 93, logically I think it makes sense to address the cosmetics at this point then continue the fun with the mechanicals.

Get the paint out of the way, this way if you had to you could always sell it for decent money.
If i was looking for a car and saw that faded nose, i wouldn't even bother calling.

From the looks of it, just spend a weekend buffing the paint out and I think you will be amazed at how well the paint will come out. My car had much worse paint, and with a few days of polishing its coming out really nice.

Before-
DSCN2072.jpg

After (not completely done but with just 2 passes of compound)-
DSCN2164.jpg

From the looks of it, just spend a weekend buffing the paint out and I think you will be amazed at how well the paint will come out. My car had much worse paint, and with a few days of polishing its coming out really nice.

Before-
DSCN2072.jpg

After (not completely done but with just 2 passes of compound)-
DSCN2164.jpg

Yes! I wanted to do this. But I dont have a cut and buff and I wouldnt know how to use it if I did. What compound did you use? I'm almost positive that if the oxidation was gone it wouldn't look so 'pink'.

It happens to any red car left outside, including mine.
The real problem is that the metal part can be compounded and waxed and look good, but the bumpers that are plastic or urethane usually do not come out as good.

I use the 3m compound, then any good wax will do.
Remove or tape the mouldings or you will be painting them soon after.