What to do with gas

65 A Code

Apr 6, 2004
I am getting ready to remove the gas tank out of my 65 and was told it only had a few gallons of gas in it when I bought it, well I took the fill spout off and its almost full. Anyone have tips on what to do with 10 or so gallons of 10 year old gas?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

pour it on a ricer and light it :-D

seriously, cant you just pour it out in the middle of some dirt and light it on fire??? Also, you could pour it into an open container (keep away from kids) and just let it evaporate, i would think.

does it have a drain plug? Are you sure its all gas in there? might be water!

Like the previous post...id pour it into an open container and let it evaporate outside. Man, if it doesnt have a drain plug, thats gonna be one heave tank to get out. You could "punch" it with a wooden or brass dowel so it will drain out.

Your city should have a provision for disposal of stale gasoline. Yeah, I guess you could pour it in your fire pit and burn it or something, but that's a lot of gas!!!

Be careful, gas is dangerous. I once singed a bunch of hair off one of my arms, and I was lighting a very small amount of gas. :bang: Yes, my neighbors still tease me about it. :D

How safe is that to just leave gas out in the open to evaporate? is it not the fumes that are so dangerous in gas? Not sure how my neighbors would feel about the smell.

Also no drain plug on the tank.
I had thought about draining it into a container and then pouring it in the woods at the end of the street one night, but would hate for one of the neighborhood animals to get a hold of it ( well not really there are a few that need to go). :D

Also as cool as a gas fire video would be. I am going to have to leave that to someone else. My wife might get a little ticked off if I burn the house down.

:flame:

well yeah the fumes are more dangerous, but that is in a concentrated air location. If you do this outside there is plenty of air to mix with the gas fumes, very LOW danger of it blowing up by the fumes, it would need some sort of spark in the actual liquid gas. Ever turned off a hot weed-eater or mower and filled it with gas and spilt some on the motor? Did it blow up? nope.

65 A Code said:
How safe is that to just leave gas out in the open to evaporate? is it not the fumes that are so dangerous in gas? Not sure how my neighbors would feel about the smell.

Also no drain plug on the tank.
I had thought about draining it into a container and then pouring it in the woods at the end of the street one night, but would hate for one of the neighborhood animals to get a hold of it ( well not really there are a few that need to go). :D

Also as cool as a gas fire video would be. I am going to have to leave that to someone else. My wife might get a little ticked off if I burn the house down.

:flame:
I think it would take a long time for it to evaporate in a container, but you could try it. I would think your wife would object the most. The vapors probably wouldn't be detectable next door.

Pouring on the ground.. well, some tree huggers would say that you're ruining the earth. :rlaugh: I would say you're putting it back where it came from. If you were in the country, this would be a good idea, IMO. In the city, ehh I don't like it.

I don't think animals would go near the gas. It could kill some plants, or fish if you pour it on the edge of a lake or something. If you pour it in a flat dry area, a lot of it would just evaporate. The longer-chain stuff wouldn't evaporate, it would just leave an oily residue.

So, this must mean you aren't going to try the city disposal?

HA, I did this a few weeks ago by accident, i thought there was only a gallon in my stang, so i drained it from the plug, and there was 6 gallons in there...... i took it outside to be safe and got a 5 gallon container and put it in there, and then i use it in my lawn mowers, they run on anything.

not sure if there is a place or not to dump old gas at a city disposal, but I am going to check. working 2nd shift this week so might also try the evaporation idea when the wife is gone at work :D.

well I got the tank out and drained gas into gas can, got out about 6 gallons. Not sure what to do with what I could not get out. THinking of putting a water hose in it and let water run though it for 20 mins or so, figure that would delute it enough.

Ozume67, if you lived a bit closer I would be glad to give it to you. :D

If you pour it anywhere in the ground, it will eventually end up in the groundwater or in a lake or river. That is not a responsible way to get rid of it, country or city.

The only waste that you can be sure will be treated is down your toilet. While it may stink up your toilet for a few flushes, you can be sure it will go into septic or a water treatment plant and be nuetralized. This is a good way to get rid of anti-freeze too.

Any other way will end up in the environment, for the most part.

You never mentioned how old the gas was. If it's any good at all, I'd use it, what with what the gas prices are now. Cost me $9 to fill up a 5 gallon gas can for my mower this weekend. One way to get rid of it if its a little varnishy would be to pour in a gallon at the pumps before you fill up your car. But I like the mower use best.

I'm not sure about antifreeze, but gas would kill the bacteria in a septic system, thereby rendering it useless. Water treatment plants aren't set up to deal with anything other than sewage treatment. At best gas or antifreeze would just be deluted and still go into the groundwater, lake or river, unless they have a reverse osmosis system that finally treats the water before it is released, then all you're probably doing is damaging some very expensive equipment.

The gas is reshish color and does not smell to much like gas ( actually stinks a goo bit), I might run it through mower. As far as the little bit left in the tank, think I will just set the tank out in the back yard and let it evaporate. I don't even want to think of the crap I would catch from the wife bringing gas in the house and flushing it. That old gas would stink the house up.

If I lived out in the country and had a good bit of land would be fun to shoot at the old tank. :D .... from a safe distance.