Progress Thread What To Do With My Frankenstein

IMG_1129.JPG
IMG_1126.JPG

I got a young entrepreneur come by today. Here are pics of what he offers. They are bolted. He comes to my house to install them and charges 450$ installed.

I think I'll give it a try. Would just need to unbolt it and have it painted.

Attachments

• IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    402.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Sponsors (?)

If I can fit as wide of a wheel in front of the car as in back, should I? Or should I make the front narrower than the back. Going 285/35r18 probably in the back.

Car is for fun, must be good for drag racing, lapping and going to daycare. So best all around traction is what I am going for.

If the rear wheels poke out too much more than the front it'll have handling issues. Wide wheels is alit of work to do correctly.

Flares will add a couple inches but the body will have to be modified to tuck the wheels under full compression. In the front the fender openings will have to be modified to be able to turn that big wheel.

In the rear, the quarters will have to be cut, massaged, and re- welded at the new seam. On the front you could simply cut the fender material away to clear wider tires....but the rear is a different story.

If I went that far I'd tub it, too. So I could fit some 335 or wider tires.

thumbnail_IMG_1144.jpg

BEFORE

thumbnail_IMG_1146.jpg

AFTER

They are bolted on, I plan on removing them and sending them to paint with my trunk cover so they can match the paint. It will need a small bead of black calking before I reinstall and a little paint from a can were he cut the fender. I made him cut it conservatively, I can always cut more if needed. The back quarter panel is double, he hammered the back layer over the front one. I like the idea of welding too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What do you mean by tubbing exacly? I noticed the front of the rear wheel well is narrower than the rest, I was thinking I might take a cutting wheel to it and cut 3 sides. Then hammer it in 3/4 of an inch. I'd have it welded next summer, is that what you mean? Not sure this is a good idea or not?

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards this wheel for look, size and price.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/are-vn5158165/overview/

They make them 8, 9 and 10inch wide. In a perfect world, I would buy a 10 inch wheel and see how it fits in front. Would plan on using it in front and something wider in the back, problem is I can't find a wider wheel in my price range. My budget might make 18 x 10 as wide as I am going.

With a tire diameter of that size, you will probably have to remove the well liners in the front and you will more than likely have to pay attention to the body seams in the wheel wells at full lock. I had to massage one side for my car to be able to turn full lock, and my tires are a bit smaller in diameter than what you propose. My car is also lowered in the front, so that plays into it as well. My wheels/tires are also a lot narrower, so you may have clearance issues elsewhere, but that is one area I can tell you about personally....

Check out http://www.oewheelsllc.com/ their prices kick butt and I've bought from them before. You might find the options for your budget are greatly expanded.

Here's a 17x10.5 Bullitt for $133. Make sure you pick the ones for your backspacing, bolt pattern, etc.
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Mustang-Bullitt-Bullet-Wheel-Chrome_6

The 18x10's $143. http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Mustang-Bullitt-Bullet-Wheel-Chrome_5

Site says they're doing free shipping until Christmas. If you get tires too they'll ship them mounted and balanced to your wheels. I've had my anthracite Bullits for about 4 years now and they're still absolutely beautiful.

Wow, thanks for the link, I'll order the 18 x 10s and try the fit in front and back. Then I can order 18 x 9 or 18 x 10 for the front later.

No free shipping to Canada unfortunetly and I don't think the proxes 4 tires are any good for wheelies, lol. (Don't judge me, lol)

I ordered the rear disc brakes and some long studs. Getting that to fit is my next little project.

I also finished installing my new seat vinyls, overall I'm real happy with them. I repainted the plastic pieces from red to black using dupli-color paint. I'm happy with the look, but right now it's real easy to scratch and leaves obvious red marks. If I repaint a real obvious part like a door handle or dash I will have to find a black piece to restore.
IMG_1152.JPG
IMG_1153.JPG
thumbnail_IMG_1155.jpg

Glad to help. The tires they ship tend to be pretty inexpensive ones, when I bought mine they were shipping Nexens. Good enough for burn-outs but not for wheelies. :)

Nittos are a really good tire, but I don't have much personal experience with them. You could post that to a bigger forum where you might get more responses -- since it's not II-specific. My II runs the cheapest of the cheap since my turbo 2.8L doesn't exactly overwhelm the 245-45-17's that are on it now.

I got my wheels today from oe wheels. Overall, I am not impressed, I had an issue with shipping fees, they were outrageous at 243$US, but when I clicked on calculate taxes and shipping, I figured that the taxes and shipping would be included. Turns out that taxes, brokerage and I don't know what other bs was not included. I had to pay another 250$ when I got the wheels.

I'll take pictures of the wheels later, you can judge for yourself if the look is good or not.

I'm sorry to hear about oewheels as I'd suggested them. I had no idea what Canada shipping / taxes would be or if other states-based suppliers would have been cheaper -- in the U.S. with free shipping it's a pretty good deal. That's good info for other owners from our neighbor to the north so thanks for letting us know. They do look really nice. Were those adapters for the 8" rear? I wonder if the flanges changed between the older 8's and the II. It doesn't look too complex to fill & drill.