What To Do?

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have started my mustang project again after a couple of months off. I am going though the wiring harness and cutting out things that I don't need and hiding the rest under the dash, so no more wires in the engine bay. I was working under the steering wheel tonight and found that the previous owner hacked and installed a bunch of relays and wiring crap into the existing harness. He didn't correctly splice the wires and was cutting wires into and putting the relays in. My question is; should I see what happens with the harness and hopefully it doesn't catch on fire. Or do I purchase a new harness and install that. I plan on having the car for a long time, I'm just not sure what the smart thing to do is. If you could give me your opinions i would really appreciate it. Also, what is a company that I can look into for purchasing a new harness. Thanks for the help. It's a 93 Lx

Andrew

• Sponsors (?)

I second the notion. You can hide 90% off the wires without cutting a yhing. My guess is the relays were installed as part of the headlight wiring fix. Is/was there evidence of any foglights ever installed, and is there any additional wires coming from those relays to the headlights?

Get a FSM or subscribe to Alldata. Listen to jrichker. Do not cut up the harness. You may want to try and get another harness if the one you have is all hacked up and start from scratch. Sometimes it's easier that way rather than chasing down elecrical gremlins.

I was mainly just trying to get rid of all of his crap. I never found anything for fog lights. I did found out last night the car I have had a 331 in it but I still don't know why he would need extra relays. If I look into getting a new harness should I look towards an aftermarket on or take one out of a junkyard? I'm really just worried that after I finish taking his stuff out, i'm going to try to start my car and something that I take out that he had in will make it not run...