What to look for when buying a roller?

02 Sonic Blue

Founding Member
Jul 22, 2002
Overland Park, KS
I am in the market for a roller to begin my fox coupe project. What should I be looking for when checking out these cars? I've found one local:

I am selling a roller 1991 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5 speed coupe. VIN #1FCP40EXMFxxxxxx. This is roller. No engine, no transmission, no computer, no computer wiring, no taillights, no front bumper, no hood, no seats, and no instrument cluster. This has 4 cylinder brakes and a 7.5 rearend, just to keep it rollable. Frame rails and floor pans are nice, not all rusty.

For my project I'm looking for something that I can put some time into. I've never worked on a fox body before, that's the reason I'm looking for some assistance from you guys. I'm not planning on doing anything too crazy too it, just a nice solid driver that has a wicked stance, nice loopy cam, and CLEAN!

Basically, I'm just looking for some helpful hints on what to look for when checking out these cars. Where are the troublesome rust spots, etc.

THANKS!

• Sponsors (?)

Personally, if i bought a roller, id want no rust, good torque boxes, and everything in the interior besides maybe the seats. The interior parts will nickel and dime you to death. Also, id prefer that the factory wiring was there

Personally, if i bought a roller, id want no rust, good torque boxes, and everything in the interior besides maybe the seats. The interior parts will nickel and dime you to death. Also, id prefer that the factory wiring was there

+1
from the sale add above i would think you would have more into it than you could buy one running but needing a little TLC. i built my car from a roller with alot more parts than the one above and the little things cost way more than the big stuff.
i paid $500 for the car and all it needed was a motor, computer and its wiring, seats and trans. the rest was small stuff rad, drive shaft, exhaust, ect... and im now in the car for close to 4K and it still needs some stuff.

also do alot of homework because like you this was my first time with a fox and i learned the hard way what changes over the years by getting parts that dont work for my car and having to buy the same damn part twice.lol