What type of pistons?

• Sponsors (?)

You should get forged pistons, that way you can boost it or spray it or both! But if your going turbo I believe your going to have to get dished pistons so your compression ratio isn't to high.
Hopefully someone will get on here with a part #.
In the mean-time, you should post exactly what you are going to do wiith this motor, so they know how to assist you.

well basically i have a spare 2.3 just kinda laying around, Im going to start tearing it down to the block then take it somewhere have it bored .40 over, and nice and clean :D find a roller cam (any recomendations?) mill the head pick up some 35lb injectors and go from there pretty much, any other ideas? all are welcome, i've been reading as much as i can on here to figure out what to do and so far thats what i've come up with any other ideas while its apart? oh yeah and im definatly picking up the Mass air harness and Computer from a TC since thats definatly a must

It sounds like you are planning to do a turbo-swap down the road sometime. If you plan to then don't mill the head. By milling the head your compression is increased, in order to have a turbo bolted up to your motor you have to have lower compression. 8:1 is turbo compression and 9:1 is naturally aspirated compression, stock. Thats why you need forged pistons, because there compression isn't as high as the stock naturally aspirated hypereunatic pistons. So just get oversize pistons that are the same compression ratio and what not as the stock pistons from a 2.3 Turbo motor. As far as your roller cam goes. Look for one from a 1991-1993 2.3 Mustang, that should work just fine. 2.3 Rangers had them to but I'm not sure of the years, run a search to find out.

If you are building this block up for a turbo engine, don't bore it out unless you absolutely have to. The extra 2 or 3 ci that you will gain from boring it will not make much difference at all. Reason I say all this is that the cylinder wall thickness is not much, and then you remove .040 of it and then the problem is even worse. Search on turboford.org - it has been discussed many times there. My block is bored 0.030 over, and I would be nervous going over 325ish rwhp. I have a spare N/A block sitting around here. I'm hoping that it won't have to be bored. If I can use it like it is, I'm going to be slowly building up a shortblock over the winter so I'll have a spare (or maybe the beginnings of a high-torque turbo Ranger!) :)

Definitely pick up some aftermarket forged pistons, 8:1 compression if you are going the forced induction route. Get some stronger connecting rods while you're at it too. I believe Crower makes some good ones. That would be a good move if you are looking at making big power in the future, which i'm sure you will want to once you are bit by the turbo power bug. :D

For the cam, check out Esslinger, or perhaps go the custom grind route. The good ol' search route (like Google) should bring up some articles that have optimal specs on the cam.

I was looking at Buying an 86 SVO and jeesssuuussss i fell in love with turbos in a heart beat, I really wanna do all this before the end of october, a few of my 5.0 buddys swear up and down there is no way that car will go into 12's easy, and another one of my friends at work said that with the turbo/forged pistons/roller cam and such that i'd maybe be running mid 14's any guess's on what i'd be running? and well since the engine is going to be apart anyway what do you all suggest i have done to it? anyway thanks for all the help sorry i am the suck, but i've gotta start learning somewhere thanks guys! keep the input comming!

Well, first off, it's going to be hard to get it done by the end of October and still do a nice job, get a big FMIC plumbed up, all the little bugs worked out, etc. It's a lot of work, or at least it was for me. If you get it in good running condition and all the bugs worked out, you shoul dbe in the 14's easy. Don't have it bored out unless it's totally necessary. A stock block is good for 350 to 400 rwhp, maybe a bit more. That should be plenty for 12s, I think. Get a good cam (and by this I don't mean the Ranger roller), a good header (Stinger's, Rod's, or Bob's) and port the head. Do that and depending on how far you take it, you could be in the 13's. Oh yeah, you'll need some decent tires and a limited slip differential if you plan on getting traction.

Let me clear this a lil. (for turbo aplication)
You do not have to run a lower compression. Higher comp will just make it harder to tune. With Higher Comp you will get alot of pinging, wont be able to run as much boost (unless you can really tune), and thus wont see much performance beyond maybe 200hp.

With lower compression, you will be able to run 30 psi easily, be alot easier to tune.
I agree about the boring the block out, dont do it. you make the walls to thin, especially when running high boost and start making metal glow.

I have a car with a shaved head, but the car will never be turbocharged. shaved it to the max.

All else said above I agree,
good header, good intake, good exauhst. good cam.

I went thru Racer Walsh when I ordered my pistons and rods. Unfortunatley I had to stop that project and move far away from it. but it all waits for me.

later,
brandon

god bless for all the help! Im happy i dont have to bore it out, Saves me money :D but the block still needs to be cleaned hardcore, I think im going to start dismantaling it tonight, Im really hoping i can get everything going before the end of October that'd be fantastic, thanks for all the help, how do I find out what Size of Pistons to pick up? after that i should be in the clear :) God bless thanks alot guys! I want to be apart of the turbo gang so bad!

Take the block to a machinist and have them look at it and determine if the cylinder walls are good. if they are not they will probably tell you to go .30 over. If you dont want to go .30 over then you can always have it sleeved. If a sleeve is done right they can be stronger than the originall.
when you order the pistons, you will just use standard pistons (std. 8.5:1). call up racer walsh and get a magazine sent to you. should come within a week. they are also very helpfull and freindly (when I called them atleast).
Sometimes your machine shop can get you the parts you need also.

Replace the oil pump while you are in there!

how many miles on the motor?

Not exactly sure, I know alot, It didnt run so well, I know the block is good on it though, but I want to make sure i do this right, so i'll probably end up replacing alot of stuff, thanks for the info about the oil pump will do :)

any recomendations as to what type of cam to pick up for it?

as fir Tires they shouldnt be a problem Im picking up a new set of em for my Wheels Next week' Hankooks 215x50x16's on back,

And i'll definatly look into the header also, Thanks alot for your help guys!

I think you're going to find 215's on the inadequate side... I have 255/45/17s with a freshly rebuilt and very tight limited slip, and there's been several times that I could have used more traction. Go as big as you can fit on your rim! How wide is the rim?

Yep i have 16's I may have mixed up the sizes its 215's on front and 245's on back sorry my mistake, Nah the engine has been stored right, it just came out of the car, but it didnt hold any Oil pressure it ran, but rocked real bad, thats why i kinda just want to start over with it, If it takes longer then october its okay, i just want it done right.

Im 99% sure the motor will turn out okay once its Actually taken care of but it does have its fair share of problems. the engine is still completely assembled, I'll start taking it apart once i know exactly what i would like done to it, Overall and given my situation what do you think i should do to the block? All input is greatly appreciated

if i could figure out how i could post some pics of my car up here apparently i have alot more reading to do to make sure this is done right, thanks alot again guys i could've screwed up by boring it out that much and putting the turbo on thanks alot guys and keep the input comming! lol this will probably end up helping others who are in the same situation sometime! Thanks!

i had a couple pics of em there rather a...Unique wheel (no not ricer) I got them through a guy who had a 90 Cobra clone and said he had them custom made, part of me believes him due to the fact that i've just never seen this wheel other then on my car I have a pic of em but they're not loading :(

I'm thinking about making a site though for it to kinda show my progress