What Will Happen To All The Old Efi Performance Parts?

JETHROBOEAN

May 7, 2014
What will happen with the old 5.0 aftermarket efi performance parts when there is plug and play EFI systems like Holley's sniper EFI systems now? Will the market on the old aftermarket intakes and MAF, throttle bodies, larger injectors and tuner systems become worthless? With the ease of tuning of theses new EFI systems I can see the market for theses parts becoming worthless or very cheap.
I mean, if i was to build a 347, I would spring for the Holley system rather than trying to piece together a intake and injectors and intlet meters.

• Sponsors (?)

Well there Jethro, guys like me will suck them up and rebuild a few cars that someone tried to build and bailed on when they could not/would not put the time and efforts it takes to put together a system and or butcher up and dump because they didn't listen to the advice of someone that knows how to do it correctly.

From my understanding, you dont even need a dyno or a tuner to dial in a combination of intake, heads or throttle body on a stroker motor. 1k on a Holley system and away you go.....

There are much better options than the sniper (even Holley offers better versions). Nothing is replacing the intakes,throttlebodies, injectors etc. it's all still very much needed.

Yes part of the benefit of standalone engine management is not necessarily needing a chassis dyno or tuner to tune your car. But the "self-tuning" feature is kind of a gimmick.
You can set target A/Fs and it will adjust the fuel tables accordingly (when in learn mode) but it's a far cry from an optimized setup at that point and still requires someone knowledgeable behind the keys.

Reactions: 3 users
What will happen with the old 5.0 aftermarket efi performance parts when there is plug and play EFI systems like Holley's sniper EFI systems now? Will the market on the old aftermarket intakes and MAF, throttle bodies, larger injectors and tuner systems become worthless? With the ease of tuning of theses new EFI systems I can see the market for theses parts becoming worthless or very cheap.
I mean, if i was to build a 347, I would spring for the Holley system rather than trying to piece together a intake and injectors and intlet meters.

It's already happening. The answer is that lots of people will over-build their fuel systems, get the tuner dialed in then finally, redo a good portion of that fuel system because they're boiling gas during the warmer months. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
There are lots of new EFI systems on the market. I keep waiting on the PMS to fall through the floor, it's getting to be old technology, but prices are still steady. there are deals out there, but $1100 new and still $5-600 used.

Joe

There are lots of new EFI systems on the market. I keep waiting on the PMS to fall through the floor, it's getting to be old technology, but prices are still steady. there are deals out there, but $1100 new and still $5-600 used.

Joe

You can find a series 4 pms used for $500 and it's worth it but not worth $1100 new. A done right holley or pro m efi system is $2000-$2500 new and tough for the average joe to afford.

if you add up the prices of new old school vs new new school EFI parts, it is a good queston.

Old school- ballparking this one
Intake- $500
Injectors $300
THrottle Body- $300
MAF- $300
Chip/Tune - $400-$600
Fuel pump $100
Total $ 2000 or so
with a MS/PMS etc add another couple of hundred to that

If you buy used parts as most of us who are in the real world do cut the price of the parts in 1/2 so you are looking at around $1000 and then the Chip/Tune/Piggyback system-- call it maybe $1500

And this has worked for going on 30 years.

Price that vs a new stand alone Holley, PRO M, Edelbrock or other system and its about $1000 difference. That's a lot for most guys. I suspect as the prices come down on these systems more people will adopt them, but that in turn will also drive down the price of used parts as there will be more for sale.. Hell.I am sure everyone has scored some good parts at killer prices. For example I paid
  • $150 for a ported explorer intake, 70MM TB and 19lb injectors
  • $950 for AFR heads, Ford rockers and hardened pushrods
  • $200 for a Pro M MAF and 30# injectors

I'd love to throw a stand alone system onand ditch the 30 year old harnesses and technology, but not at this price point.

Reactions: 1 users
You can find a series 4 pms used for $500 and it's worth it but not worth $1100 new. A done right holley or pro m efi system is $2000-$2500 new and tough for the average joe to afford.

Yeah, but data logging cost you extra, add in the wide band and the need to keep a MAF, and it just hurts the bang for the buck.

Joe

It's already happening. The answer is that lots of people will over-build their fuel systems, get the tuner dialed in then finally, redo a good portion of that fuel system because they're boiling gas during the warmer months. ;)
That's the same thing I have been saying for quite some time now. Too much circulating fuel pick up heat and when that heated fuel returns to the tank it starts to vaporize and expand. The expansion of that vaporized fuel tries to pressurize the tank. Since most Mustangs have had the carbon canister ripped out long ago by people who didn't know what it was for, the vapors get vented out into open air. Fuel mileage drops because gasoline isn't being used to run the engine, it is just like a big gas leak that drains your tank and your wallet.

Reactions: 1 user
My MS cost about 900 + 200 for WB...but subtract the 300 for a MAF, 80 bucks for BAP, 300 for chip, and the piece of mind being able to see actual sensor data . So....my MS cost me 420....that 420 will be saved in diag and headache time.

Time is money ya know !

*baits up hook*

*casts*

CARBS ARE BETTER!

:hide:
I respectfully disagree.

That said, I still work with carbs on several project cars that come and go at my place, and have a brand new Demon 625cfm in the box under my desk waiting to go on an engine, and a good used Edelbrock 1406 (600cfm/electric choke) sitting in another box because it was too good of a deal on Ebay to pass up.

The standalone EFI kits in a box will surpass upgraded factory systems over time in non-emissions states, but the upgraded factory-style setups will still have their place in emissions-strict places such as California, New Jersey, and certain counties in Texas.

Ms all the way here. I can build my own Stand alone system for less than 400$.

That said no matter how good the fuel mapping algorithm is on your EMS it's not going to be able to tune itself completely. You WILL end up paying someone for that stock like idle quality and MPG there is so much more to setup it's mind boggling.

Reactions: 1 user