What would be the best disc brake swap option for my situation?

jabb

Dec 14, 2007
I've got a '67 with drums all around and I'm wanting to install disc brakes. As things stand now I'm pretty sure my spindles are cracked and/or bent so I'll have to get replace those regardless of what path I go. Would it be best to go with stock drum spindles and a conversion kit designed for drums, get reproduction granada spindles, or something else I've not thought of. I rather like the idea of putting 13" cobra brakes on the front even tho its complete overkill. I know about the cobrabrakes.com kit, is there anything else as good/cheaper that uses a different spindle since mine already need replaced?

Also as info for an alternative path, what are the largest rotors that will fit in 16" rims? Would 12" be to large?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm planning on running late model wheels, so any solution that slightly widens the track width is not only ok, but preferred.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the info on the 12.5" brakes pak. Do you know where to buy that kit? I checked the mustangsteve.com product page and didn't see it. Also, what size of tires are you sporting on that '69? I usually don't like the stance of classic stangs on wheels any bigger than 16" but yours looks pretty spiffy.

For some reason he doesn't have them up on his site yet but he has been selling them on ebay. Looks like he has two sets left: http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmustangsteve66

The pic of my car shows my old original 14" styled steel wheels still. The new ones are (or rather will be) 17" American Racing AR500's 17x8 up front with 245/45 rubber and 17x9.5 out back with 275/40's.

Steve switched from the Cobra parts to the new GT stuff because the price of the Cobra calipers roughly tripled. The kit was no longer cost effective.

For a street car, they'll be equivlent in stopping power. Heck, on race tires they are probablly the same.

Why do you think you need to dump your spindles?

Spindles look like they may have some metal fatigue fractures starting on them. I'm not positive about it but I'd much rather be safe than sorry about it. While on the subject of being safe, What can I do to bolt up wheels with late model backspacing without using spacers? I know many people run spacers and don't have problems, but I'm an engineering student and know how high stresses can get and how metals can fail umpteen different ways even before they reach their yield strength, so I'd rather run something more uh, solid if it exists.

Not to poke fun but as most engineers you seem to be over engineering and just guessing that your spindles need replaced. The degree is great but real world application of knowledge is key(formulas and books aren't always right) Most of the time you won't fatigue a spindle and you usually won't visually see it. I do think you're on the right track with the mustang steve or vintage venom kit.

Oh I totally agree, we over engineer just about everything. Mostly thats because a little extra cost beats getting sued if something goes terribly wrong.

I bough one of the mustang steve GT brake kits this morning and will roll with the stock spindles for now, can always get new ones later if it keeps me up at night. I'll let you all know how the kit/install are once I get em.

One more question, does anybody know a good donor car for a disc/drum MC? I'm probably gonna cruise down to the junkyard one of these days and might as well pick one up if I can.

Oh I totally agree, we over engineer just about everything. Mostly thats because a little extra cost beats getting sued if something goes terribly wrong.

I bough one of the mustang steve GT brake kits this morning and will roll with the stock spindles for now, can always get new ones later if it keeps me up at night. I'll let you all know how the kit/install are once I get em.

One more question, does anybody know a good donor car for a disc/drum MC? I'm probably gonna cruise down to the junkyard one of these days and might as well pick one up if I can.

Not sure if it will work for you or not, but I have a 70 Disc/Drum MS that I removed from my car if your interested. Don't know where you are located or what the shipping would run. Let me know if your interested, if it will work for you.