What would be your first few mods?

shankshank

Feb 20, 2004
So I drive a 99 mustang convertible, v6.

The first thing I got was steeda lowering springs, and then 20% tint all round. I am limited on cash, but I have a few things I want to get.

Of course the list goes from
* System
* Dual Exhaust
* CAI
* Light bar
* Pulleys

And by checking the forums, I've seen people say get the CAI and UD, then dual exhaust and so on.

I guess all these things I have an equal want for, for various reasons, but what would be the best? Most of my friends said get rims first, because I lowered it already and the gap between the tire and the wheel well isnt' exhilarating to look at. Me, on the other hand used to be crazy about car audio in the HS years, and wouldt' mind having a system again.

Now when it come sto pulleys, will this affect my battery charging performance if I am running a system?

Let me know your thoughts.

• Sponsors (?)

Depends what you want, dude. If you wanna look and sound good, get the exhaust and sound system first. If you wanna go faster, get the pulleys, intake, and take a look at a spacer.

Personally, exhaust is the first thing I got. Makes the car look better, sound better, and doesn't hurt in the performance department.

A CAI is a good middle step, considering you can get them on eBay for 60 bucks shipped.

The intake spacer is a pretty underrated performance mod. 90 bucks to buy one, and it's good for a few pound-feet down low.

Pulleys are probably the best performance mod. Generally good for several hp and lbft throughout. You'll definitely feel it. Unless you're running a HUGE system, and you idle a lot in traffic, the pulley won't hurt charging.

As to the system and lightbar - that's up to you mang. :) I'm not a big stereo guy, the Mach460 is good enough for me, but it's your car, not mine.

well, since you're asking...

IMHO you shouldn't bother with the dual exhaust. it won't provide any power gains. since you bought the v-6 be proud of where it started. make it fast and keep it single exhaust. JMHO ;)

if you like music definately get the stereo.

don't bother with the CAI, again it's wasted money, none to minimal power gains. this is mostly a "dress up" mod.

light bar- if you want, it's a style thing and it's your car. i like them.

pulleys- of all the things you mentioned get this one first. it will give you a few ponies across the whole power band. i'm not too sure about charging issues though.

quick question for you - what are your goals for the car. do you want to be fast? faster than a gt? faster than other v6's? or do you just want to put a little more ooomph into her?

if you are looking to be fast you've got a rough platform to work with...very heavy vert with a small motor. have you considered forced induction?

-steve

The first mod I did to my car was a styling bar (light bar with no light). Mainly this was the first mod, because my grandfather bought it for me since he was scared of me in a convertable. :rlaugh: I really like the way it looks, and if you go to my website I have a link to the place I bought mine from, got it pretty freakin cheap. I want to say it was around $260??? Think of light bars this way. You're driving down the interstate late at night, top up, and suddenly your radar goes off. You hit the brakes, and all you see is a red light shining in your car. That would scare the crap out of me! That's why I, personally, opted for no light.

sleeper89 said:
IMHO you shouldn't bother with the dual exhaust. it won't provide any power gains. since you bought the v-6 be proud of where it started. make it fast and keep it single exhaust. JMHO ;)

Yeah.... I'm gonna have to sort of... go ahead and ... disagree with you a little bit on this one. I don't have many mods, just and intake and duals, and I gotta tell you, the result was pretty dramatic. First off, with the intake, you really wont gain much power, but what it lacks in power, you gain in throttle response. that thing lets you breathe, which is a must if you're going to be doing more work. In a similar regard, I have to say exhaust is one of the best cheap things you can do for hp. It compliments an intake so much, you'll feel the throttle response just jump out of nowhere. Get GT take-offs and have somebody from a shop throw em on. If you don't like what that does for your speed, you now have 2 steel pipes lookin sexy on your car, and it'll sound pretty nice too. Don't screw around with single exhaust, you'll just cruise down the street sounding like a mob of angry bees

I always figured you should have the same amount of tips as you do headers as far as exhaust goes. Thats why I think its kinda gay for all the I4's out there with fake duals. Anyhoo, exhaust will give you much better sound and it'll look better, but we had a discussion about the bumper situation so that may be of your concern as well. Some say keep V6 bumper and go under it, others say get GT and use the cutouts, and I say get dumps as to keep the bumper and not have to worry about downward pointing tips.

I saw a six the other day with a custom dual exhaust job. A blind, one armed man must have done it. it was ~3" pipes run under the axel... very interesting looking. 3 or 4 welds visible behind the tires. Just don't go to that guy to get your exhaust ;)