what would it take for a 94 cobra to beat an ls1

Kronos

Apr 4, 2005
the boondocks
i was just wondering cause my friend has a 94 cobra with bbk shorty's h pipe (two cats) and flowmasters it also has a short throw shifter and the bbk cold air intake and throttle body (75mm)

i don't remember how much these cobras came stock so i was just wondering what would be enough to take out say a trans am ws6.

• Sponsors (?)

i'm not sure if it is a 75mm i was just guesing cause it looks pretty big my friend just bought the car and we are looking to throw maybe a cam on it and in the future some gt 40 heads u/d pullys are also on the way but if we got a sick enough cam would that put us close to the mill of a stock ls1

oh yeah sorry i know nothing about the 94-95s so i am going into this blindlyits fun though cause it is really expanding my mustang knowledge. what are som other good boltons that i could throw on there and sincve i am guessing the heads are already good enough i should focus money on other things?
-thanks alot

I agree with Shaun. To keep up with them .... your best bet would be to go with aftermarket H/C/I. Preferably aluminum heads .... but IT CAN be done with WORKED iron heads & the right parts to compliment it. Twisted Wedge & AFR seems to be the popular head choice .... as they average 270-320 HP on our cars (depending on C/I). Do you a little search on heads, cams, intakes on here with the search function. It can reveal tons of info. There's also flow charts in the sticky's as well, I believe.

Or, you can go forced induction. Something else to search .....

A h/c/i 5.0 will probably run with basic stock LS1s....but if they are modded you better have some more in your back pocket. Forced induction, nitrous, or a stroker is a must to have "confidence" when u pull up to a LS1...cause u never know if its modded or stock.

A h/c/i is definately a good start though.

nmcgrawj said:
A h/c/i 5.0 will probably run with basic stock LS1s....but if they are modded you better have some more in your back pocket. Forced induction, nitrous, or a stroker is a must to have "confidence" when u pull up to a LS1...cause u never know if its modded or stock.

A h/c/i is definately a good start though.

Yep. Like in another thread that's going right now .... they have more cubic inches on us. There's no replacement for displacement! (Actually there is ... but I won't get into that here).

yeah i got a buddy with a 347 stroker in a 76 mustang II and it gets the job done i have access to any tool you could imagine and lifts here on base so with that said how hard are h/c/i installs on 5.0s same with stroking.

To be blunt, it takes quite a bit just to run with them. H/C/I, gears, traction, and a good driver are a must, even against stock LS1s. Modded ones are even more trouble, so matching parts vs. just throwing random parts together and hoping for a good combination is equally as important. Against a modded LS1, unless you're running a high compression 5.0 with a solid roller cam, 331. 347, or 351 swap, you start getting into the power adder territory, simply to keep up.

WHITE94COBRA said:
I can beat an ls1 even with minor mods with whats in my sig.

Thats what u call minor?:p And the biggest thing which people have touched on is there is a HUGE difference between a LS1 and a modded LS1. Those things are already quick factory...and it only takes a little of this...a little of that...to unleash even more insane power.

nmcgrawj said:
Thats what u call minor?:p And the biggest thing which people have touched on is there is a HUGE difference between a LS1 and a modded LS1. Those things are already quick factory...and it only takes a little of this...a little of that...to unleash even more insane power.

No he meant that he can beat a minor modded ls1 with all of his add ons..