What would make left front wheel chirp or squeal ?

66newbie

Jul 15, 2005
I noticed that when I am cornering to the left every once in a while I will get a chirp or depending on my speed a squeal from my left front tire.... Not sure what's causing it, any thoughts ?

• Sponsors (?)

67coupe351w said:
Slow down? :shrug:

LOL....ok Rodney Dangerfield, I will add that the speed I was going at the time wasn't excessive at all. That's what has me posting the question. I could understand if I was going fast but nothing unreasonable.

dsg_gt2004 you have the BEST icon in your profile that I have ever seen on this site... Somebody has an animation one that's pretty damn good as well. That cartoon is....shall we say....blessed.

I will have the alignment checked, it does drive pretty straight. So that's why I never suspected it to be the alignment. I will check the pressure first and then go from there.

66newbie said:
LOL....ok Rodney Dangerfield, I will add that the speed I was going at the time wasn't excessive at all. That's what has me posting the question. I could understand if I was going fast but nothing unreasonable.

lol im glad you took it as a joke.

I was wondering, wouldnt a bad alignment cause more of a scuffing sound than a squeal? I guess it would depend on speed.

67coupe351w said:
lol im glad you took it as a joke.

I was wondering, wouldnt a bad alignment cause more of a scuffing sound than a squeal? I guess it would depend on speed.

Put it this way....it sounds faster than I am really good....And it only does it to the left... :shrug: :shrug:

mustangman70 said:
Let us know if it was off man ;)

Remember I am a newbie so don't shoot me for asking this question.
I have the Granada brake swap underneath AND Granada rear end, when I go to the alignment shop to I get them to use the Granada specs or 66 Mustang specs.

66newbie said:
Remember I am a newbie so don't shoot me for asking this question.
I have the Granada brake swap underneath AND Granada rear end, when I go to the alignment shop to I get them to use the Granada specs or 66 Mustang specs.

66 Mustang specs, but I would imagine the Granada specs are close. Be warned that some places that do "computer" alignments don't have specs for older cars in their machines.

grego37 said:
check the inside bulge of that tire/wheel and make sure its not rubbing on anything at full turn. tie rod end , upper arm etc...

That's also a good idea.... I will check that over the weekend. If that's it, it might be a nice excuse to go to 17" wheels. From the research I have done it seems like the 17s are an easier fit than the 16 because of the fitment.

geostang351 said:
Could the "chirp" possibly be the tire stopping brieifly during the turn as it binds on a suspension item?

I don't think that would be it, but I could be wrong. It will be this weekend before I can really investigate it thoroughly. I have 15x7 wheels on there and the tires aren't that wide 205s. That's a pretty common tire setup. Note that I will also get a squeal when I go around a sharp curve to the left and I am not going abnormally fast. I would think if it were binding, I'd feel it in the steering or the ride.

I get the same sort of squeel with my 66 Mustang. Its annoying as it sounds like I am going faster than say 5 - 10 MPH around a rounda bout or corner. I would be interested to find out what has caused yours. I have checked my airpressure and had an alighnment done to no avail. Its probably my cheese cutters that I have on.