What year cobra to buy?

OK, I have decided to take the plunge and buy a cobra. I want the 96-98 body style.

Things I think I know:
1. 96 and some 97's have a problem with carbon build-up inside part of the intake the needs to be periodically cleaned out.
2. 96 and 97 have a return system and the 98 is returnless.
3. all 96-98 have 2 of the 4 tower coil packs unlike the 99-04 cobras that have 8 individual coils.

Things I know:
1. I like having a return line so I can add an external fuel pressure regulator.
2. I will be purchasing the delta force tuner w/ special forces software.

If anyone can give some insight and opinions on this it would be great. Am I right about the things I think I know? Are there any other factors I should consider?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 96. The 96 came with certain luxuries the others didnt, Thicker carpet padding for sound and and other stuff like that from what I was told. I do know they have a overheating problem. The guy at the Ford dealer said it was due to to small of a radiator. Trying to save weight due to the luxury items added. The 98 would have 2 yrs less dryrot time for brake and fuel lines and other rubber, trim items. But I do love my 96

You have excellent points you bring up about the 96 - 98. Personally I would go for the 96-97. The carbon build up issue - I have 195,000 miles on mine and have no build up. The key is to open up the runners regularly (past 3500 rpm). I do have to tear my motor down soon because my head gasket leaks water slowly past cylinder 3&4. I probably could have prevented this if I put my Fluidyne in allot sooner. These motors like running cooler.
Hope this helps!

You have excellent points you bring up about the 96 - 98. Personally I would go for the 96-97. The carbon build up issue - I have 195,000 miles on mine and have no build up. The key is to open up the runners regularly (past 3500 rpm). I do have to tear my motor down soon because my head gasket leaks water slowly past cylinder 3&4. I probably could have prevented this if I put my Fluidyne in allot sooner. These motors like running cooler.
Hope this helps!

^ I feel your pain dude . when I bought mine It had a bent intake valve. I had to pull the head to fix > it's not a fast easy thing to do > good luck :nice:

96-98 Cobras have the same heads which have two intake ports per cylinder. The fuel is only injected into the primary port so the secondary port and it's valve are prone to getting "gunked" up.

Not all 98s have return fuel systems. You can put a fuel pressure gauge on both the returnless and return fuel systems.

The only benefit of the 99 and up COP ignition system is that it's a much cleaner setup. Oh, and you can also tune in a launch rev limiter.

The 96s have a a/c condensor that restricts airflow to the radiator which sometimes causes cooling problems. Ford issued a TSB to fix it but not all owners had the mod done.

As for the hp, they are all the same. The only difference in the engines is the 98s have plastic IMRCs and the 96-97s are made of aluminum.

The 99/01s make more power even with their lower duration cams. The 99/01s are heavier and have the IRS which is a PITA if you drag race.