What year Explorer for 9" brake swap?

I have the new style big bearing housing ends on the nine inch rear and am trying to track down a junk yard for the explorer rear disc swap.

From my research it looks like a 1995-2001 explorer will work. Is that correct?

Also anything to look out for while doing the swap?

Thanks a lot guys. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

No idea. :shrug: According to Autozone.com, pads/rotors/calipers/hoses all have the same part number if I search a 96 or 98. The difference may have been something stupid, like original brake pad material or something. I didnt look at the parking brakes though.

For those that have done the swap what years have you used? I know from searching that 12sec and hueypilot have done the swap, but couldn't find what year donor exploder they used...

Help a brutha out? Thanks. :nice:

looking for me?

I took my disc brakes off a 98 ford explorer. to get the disc brake bracket off you need metric tools as stated above and you need to know how to remove the axles from the 8.8 carrier. Removing the axles from an 8.8 is more difficult then from a 8" or 9".

unbolt all hardware from the axle ends, remove back 8.8 cover plate, push axles inward to remove C-clips from axles then pull axles out and remove disc brake bracket and etc. Don't forget to take all the inner drum hardware that works as an e-brake and hard line that is on the rear end to the caliper brake hoses!

looking for me?

I took my disc brakes off a 98 ford explorer. to get the disc brake bracket off you need metric tools as stated above and you need to know how to remove the axles from the 8.8 carrier. Removing the axles from an 8.8 is more difficult then from a 8" or 9".

unbolt all hardware from the axle ends, remove back 8.8 cover plate, push axles inward to remove C-clips from axles then pull axles out and remove disc brake bracket and etc. Don't forget to take all the inner drum hardware that works as an e-brake and hard line that is on the rear end to the caliper brake hoses!

Thanks 12sec! I was hoping you'd chime in. Any idea what my axle shop is talking about with needing a "ring" between my retaining plate and the bearing on the axle?

Thanks for the help!

looking for me?

Don't forget to remove the 5/16" (or 8mm) bolt that holds the cross-shaft in the gear carrier. I think you can get away with standard tools for this project. !/2" socket to remove the rear cover. 5/16" wrench to remove the retainer bolt. Flat blade screwdriver to push out the C-clips. 9/16" socket and 9/16" wrench to remove the backing plates. That should do it.