What's a decent rebuild kit worth?

Gearbanger 101

Straight Outta Locash
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Aug 10, 2002
Ontario, Canada
Just got my '96 Cougar about a week ago, but I fear that the engine might be done since the previous owner ran it low on oil and seized up one of the camshafts. Bottom end may still be saved (don't know, haven't had it apart yet) but I think I might just rebuild it all the same. Now my problem is, I can't seem to find anything reasonably or even moderate priced, at all. Every kit I've found wants to ram forged everything down your throat and charge you $2500.00 in the process. Hell, I've freshened up my old 5.0L with rings, bearings, and gaskets for under $300.00 Canadian. I’m assuming internally the 4.6 used in the Mustang is identical to that of what’s used in the Cougar (even though the Cougars a Romeo Block) Does such a kit exist for the 4.6L?

• Sponsors (?)

the mustangs were romeo blocks in those years as well IIRC. check out Sean Hyland Motorsport. they carry a lot of stock parts, at fairly resonable prices. the performance parts well, theyre expensive. you could also consider finding a used PI motor, 99+ stang, 01+ panther chassis, and use that.

Cali03Boss said:
Oh...well in that case...id say max 5-6 grand for new parts on a 2v. on a 4v....ehh gonna get really pricey.
Guess you missed my initial lean towards inexpensive, huh.:D For that price I could build 3 5.0L's
bdcardinal said:
01+ panther chassis.
What in the blue hell is that?

Besides, other than different pistons, how does the late model PI Stangs bottom end differ from their predecessors? Could I not just swap out my slugs for a set of stock '99 pistons, slap my PI heads/intake on there and call it a '99? They still use the same block, cast crank and cracked rods, do they not?