What's A Good Interior For My '66 Red 2+2?

mikesponycar

Aug 28, 2013
Hi folks.........I'm starting a restoration of my '66 fastback, factory GT, K motor and 4 spd. It came with candyapple red exterior, which I'll stay with. The interior was standard red. Should I keep it OE or convert it to the deluxe pony and if so, what color? Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Mike in Seattle

• Sponsors (?)

Horse sence, thanks for the reply. Looks like you have your hands full with projects. Keeps you out of trouble, right? Back to my interior, I kinda sorta agree about the pony but I sure wouldn't convert it back to standard at sell time. I think the same colors in and out are bland, and I'm leaning toward the black pony in a red car. I'm collecting opinions - what's yours about the color?

I have a black 67 fastback with deluxe red interior that i think goes great together , and a black interior goes with just about any exterior color .
If you go full deluxe with the 66 you will have to cut the doors for the door lights and drill a 3/4 inch hole in the front end of the door and the door hinge post for the wires ,but it would not bother me to have a fully converted deluxe interior as the deluxe interior is way better looking than just the plain old standard interior ...at least for me . i did at one time have a 65 fast back that was Ragoon red with deluxe red interior that was really nice looking .

I think the same colors in and out are bland, and I'm leaning toward the black pony in a red car. I'm collecting opinions - what's yours about the color?

I have the black interior in my green 67 convertible and like it a lot. However, it gets very hot in the summer sun. Also, the original black carpet fades to brown pretty quickly if it spends much time under the sun.

Hi folks.........I'm starting a restoration of my '66 fastback, factory GT, K motor and 4 spd. It came with candyapple red exterior, which I'll stay with. The interior was standard red. Should I keep it OE or convert it to the deluxe pony and if so, what color? Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Mike in Seattle
I got a 1965 fb with a red interior. I kept it 100% stock. I am thinking about adding an after market console. Love the all red.

CIMG4665.JPG
CIMG4668.JPG
I personally am not a fan of same color inside as out especially red on red but everybody feels different. I'm partial to two toned and especially the deluxe interior. here are some pics of what I did with my 66 FB . Also added aftermarket armrest/console/cupholder that I don't have in these pics but it goes real well with the interior.

CIMG4659.JPG
CIMG4660.JPG
CIMG4658.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all your replies. Sorry about the late response. It seems there's no right way to do it, just do what you like. I agree about the pony. I'm narrowing it down to red pony with parchment or white inserts, or all parchment. A broker friend who buys and sells a lot of cars says to get top dollar, the interior should be a color, not black.

image4.JPG
I'm dying - I am having the same problem and I can't decide what sort of color combo I like. Right now, my interior is all palomino, parchment, and other versions of beige...it's gross. It looks like a Ford Aerostar.
My exterior is Red (debating keeping it or painting it - dark blue or black). It has the gold GT350H stripes on the side; stickers which I'm going to have removed.
I do not one a monochromatic interior. I also don't want white. I cannot seem to formulate a color combo that doesn't look tacky, but will also match my car. I'm pretty sure I want red TMI R seats. But I'm not sure what to do with the carpet (they are still in pretty good shape), dashboard, dash panel (paint is pretty smooth), doors (chipped paint), door panels (worn), and the interior side panels (which are totally trashed and have to be replaced).
I sort of like the black and red, but i have yet to see a combo that I like.
I like the black and white posted above, but this will be a daily driver so that's why I don't want white. Plus my kids are, well, kids.
As for the exterior - does anyone have any unique paint schemes that they like? Striping? This is an A code originally, but has had a bunch of stuff done in the Shelby shop so I sort of want to honor that, but not go full GT350 clone.