What's a good torquey street cam for GT-40P's?

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
Just want to hear a few ideas.

I'm putting together a cheap Gt-40P combo. This is the brunt of the parts

GT-40P's w/3 angle valve job + aftermarket springs
Cobra intake (Tmoss lower ported)
Crane Cobra 1.72 RR's
65mm TB (might buy a 70mm)
70mm SN95 MAF
AFPR + 24# injectors (only if necessary)
Pullies, efan, headers, high flow Hpipe, etc etc...the usual.

As of right now, I have a TFS Stage 1 camshaft I was going to run with the combo. But i was wondering if there are any other OTS cams that might give me a little more low end torque and make a fun street combo, or if i should stick with the TFS1?

What about the Crane 2031? XE258? XE264? etc?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, if i didn't have the TFS1, would the recommendation for it stay the same? I could always sell it to a friend easily and buy another cam.

I know i said cheap, but i'm willing to spend a few bucks if it will make a significant impact. (short of buying AFR's)

Posted via Mobile Device

I've owned many mustangs. Ran a few cams. E cam, F cam, installed the TFS 1 in 2 of my friends rides. Drove them all.

I have never seen a mustang, with a decent set of rear gears not be torquey with the stock HO cam. The HO cam is highly under-rated.It performs darn good, and comes with great drivability.

The duration on the HO cam is not that bad. But it is lacking in the lift department a pretty good bit.

A 22x duration cam is a bit much for a stock headed(ported or not) setup. Close the intake valve to late, and cylinder pressure is lost. Close it too soon, and you don't fill the cylinder enough. And the duration numbers effect the valve opening and closing events. It takes experience to find a happy medium to be able to trap as much air as possible in the cylinder with the valve events.

Cams can get very technical.

I think the XE258 is closer to what you need than the XE264 or TFS 1.

I was going to say the XE258 as well. I ran the TFS-1 cam in a gt40 motor. its not a bad cam, but I feel that the stock cam performed just as well below 4k rpms. My car is a DD and I rarely take it over 3k so I feel that I was not able to benefit from the cam. I have since gone back to the stocker and aside from not having the cam lope during idle I am not missing a thing. If you already have it I would use it, but if you are still shopping for parts I would leave the stock cam in a gt40 motor.

My recommendation would've been the same regardless. In fact, I had already forgotten you had a TFS1.... my short-term memory apparently sucks. There was a post a while back where buddy rawls was asked about his stock headed cam recommendation and I wanna say he recommended the XE264. I'll try to find it.

Chris

Posted via Mobile Device

TFS wouldn't be my choice.

Either the Stocker and 1.7's

Or the XE258

If I remember the specs of the XE264, the duration is like 212 and 218 @.050 and lift is .512 for Intake and Exhaust. Not enough lift IMHO.

There was a post a while back where buddy rawls was asked about his stock headed cam recommendation and I wanna say he recommended the XE264.
Chris

I have that post info, but the recommendation was based on a bone stock motor and that cam recommendation will change with the GT40P heads as Buddy said that if you change even the exhuast system that a change would be needed for the E7 heads. It was the XE270-12 cam he recommended in the post I have.

To be honest, i just want to put together a half-decent 300HPcombo just to have fun with for now.

I am really debating a mod-motor swap down the line, reason why i don't want to start tossing more expensive parts in. Everything i've listed, I already have. I just need to ditch my stock *gasp* Hpipe for a high flow H or X pipe and i would really be all set to install (once i convert to MA).

You might say why bother, but i am prob 3-4 years away from my mod motor swap. Gotta take care of important stuff first...like purchase a house. In the meantime, i just need a little more grunt to play around with. I just want to make sure everything I have will work together well.

My combo isn't far from what you're doing.I'm building a GT40 P engine with the following....Explorer intake,ported "P" heads with a 3 angle valve job and Trick Flow springs,Trick Flow stage 1 cam and I'll be using my T-5 with a King Cobra clutch.I have an E303 in my current engine,but I think the Trick Flow will be a little better for what I'm hoping for.Here's a pic of the engine.I'll be swapping the valve covers for finned aluminum polished Cobra covers,and a polished upper intake....

View attachment 238997