What's an easy Disc Brake rear end to swap?

minisho

Jun 12, 2009
I want to upgrade to a 5-lug disc brake rear end. What's the easiest rear end to swap into the Mustang II to do this on a budget? I know Monarch and Versailles rears work, but they're getting scarce. I thought I saw something, somewhere, about an Explorer rear fitting, but I can't recall the source to verify. Anyone have any easy swaps they'd like to share?

• Sponsors (?)

I've never heard of a 5-lug disk brake Ford rear thats narrow enough to fit the MII other than what you mentioned, and especially not for leaf springs.

I know that the Ranger pickup rear has different length axles from side to side and the diff is offset due to this. The Explorer is based on the Ranger, so the rear may be the same...

Your best bet may be a '91 - '93 Mustang 4-lug rear with a 5-lug disc brake kit, modified to run leaf springs. Its only about 1" wider than the stock MII rear...has an inexpensive limited slip diff available (about $220 from Ford Racing). The extra width can be useful for tire clearance too.

I've never heard of a 5-lug disk brake Ford rear thats narrow enough to fit the MII other than what you mentioned, and especially not for leaf springs.

:nice:

Your best bet may be a '91 - '93 Mustang 4-lug rear with a 5-lug disc brake kit, modified to run leaf springs. Its only about 1" wider than the stock MII rear...has an inexpensive limited slip diff available (about $220 from Ford Racing). The extra width can be useful for tire clearance too.

I'm thinking that's pretty much the easiest way to go anymore. Use an 8.8, remove the brackets and install perches. I believe the 8.8 uses 3" tubes, 3" perches are easy to come by.

I've heard of swap kits for the II/Pinto housing, didn't pay much attention to them because I'm not fond or the II 8" tubes, and because of the bastard bolt pattern of the II/Pinto bearing flange. The bolt pattern can make getting parts in Podunkville a bitch.

OTOH, If you don't need the strength of an 8.8 or 9 you could install a Granada/Monarch/Whatever 8" (I once had what I was told was a 'Classic' 8", I don't remember how well it fit but it did work) and install a disk kit. Going this way you could install the axle, get the 5 lug hub, and run the drums till you get around to installing a disk kit.

Also, unless you have an actual need for rear disks, once you go to a 8" with a more common bearing flange bolt pattern there are numerous larger drum brakes that would be an actual 'bolt on'.

Just a thought.