Whats Correct Pcv Valve For 289ci, 1406 Edelbrock Carb?

Cool Beans

Aug 2, 2014
Just got back from a nice long drive after rebuilding my carb and replacing the cheapo electric fuel pump with a stock mechanical. Everything runs great! I noticed when I pulled the carb, that the inside of the intake is spotless as it the base of the carb at the PCV port. It's obvious the PCV port isn't pulling like it's supposed too. The valve rattles with the engine off. At idle it is closed completely. I assume it isn't opening while running.

The breather pulses vapor out when warm, and there is always a film of residue on the valve cover. In an effort to keep my engine bay cleaner, I want to install the correct PCV valve. I'm just not sure which one. Can anyone recommend a part number for my setup?

1406 Edelbrock Carb, Performer intake, stock 289 motor (as far as I know) with some miles.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Hot damn! SO much for assuming the PO installed the right PCV valve to begin with! Bought one from the local store for a 68' 289 and sure enough after install everything is great. It even idles smoother. Slight vacuum pull at idle. No more smoky burny smell at lights or driving with the windows down. No residue on the valve covers after a test drive. Thumbs up all around!

Hot damn! SO much for assuming the PO installed the right PCV valve to begin with! Bought one from the local store for a 68' 289 and sure enough after install everything is great. It even idles smoother. Slight vacuum pull at idle. No more smoky burny smell at lights or driving with the windows down. No residue on the valve covers after a test drive. Thumbs up all around!

Do you still have the car? Could you please snap a picture of the PCV system? I have an aftermarket air cleaner and a cap on one valve cover that smokes and fills the engine bay, similar to your post. It's very annoying. Where did you buy your PCV valve?
Thanks-