What's my next step....more power!!

PickupMan

Founding Member
Jan 30, 2000
Hazleton, Pa
I picked up a 94 GT to flip and make some money. Well I don't see that happening. The more i see this car sitting in my driveway I just have to keep it!! SO...This is where I stand with mods.

The car has a cold air intake and an SLP exhaust.

Yep that's it! After fixing the Balancer problem I drive the car....she's a dog. not sure if it's the gearing or what. I was thinking of bumping up the timing, offroad H-pipe and a set of 3:73 gears. This should make it a nice street car with a little bit of attitude.

Any other suggestions? Any other FREE things I can do to the car to help t breathe? Larger throttle body? Not going to race the car just a nice Stang with a little bit of attitude.

Thanks
Joe

• Sponsors (?)

For free mods you pretty much have it covered as far as bumping the timing. Gears are a good place to start to give it more grunt. 3.73's are a good choice. Replacing the TB will be good when or if you decided to go with a better intake. Just a TB by its self really wont do to much.

For almost free clean the MAF sensor. However, for starters I would do all the basic stuff, cap, rotor, filters, wires, plugs.

What he said but other freebie (or near freebie) mods you can do are:

1. Advance timing to 14* BTDC (good for ~5rwhp).
2. Short belt smog pump/AC bypass (also good for ~5rwhp).

You could also get rid of some unwanted weight from the vehicle. Here's what I removed from mine:

Weight Reduction

Thanks for the replies! She's a 5 speed. I'm back and forth on the gears. I'm in a debate with myself from 3:55 or 3:73. Only thing I don't like about the 3:73 are making a long run with the car. Is there a big defference between the 3:55 and the 3:73 as far as seat of the pants feeling?

Going to bump the timing tomorrow and clean the MAF.

DOWNSIDE...Trans got a crak in it from the balancer being bad and the previous owner driving it. It's cracked from the bottom of the speedo sensor down about 2 inches. Oil everywhere. Can the case be welded? Hard to swap tailshafts? Going to yank the trans tomorrow to get a better look.

No ... Not much difference between 355's & 373's

At highway speeds you will turn about 125 more rpm with 373's :eek:
as opposed to 355's so I'd tell you to go with the steeper ratio
for more smiles per mile :D

Unless you go for more than just bolt ons which will not shift up or extend
your rpm range ... I'd say no ... don't go with 410's

Grady

What he said but other freebie (or near freebie) mods you can do are:

1. Advance timing to 14* BTDC (good for ~5rwhp).
2. Short belt smog pump/AC bypass (also good for ~5rwhp).

You could also get rid of some unwanted weight from the vehicle. Here's what I removed from mine:

Weight Reduction

Nice piece on the weight reduction ideas and thanks for the Jeep seat idea. You could get even more weight out by getting creative in the trunk area, sound deadener, spare and tools, carpet, cardboard, deck speakers, rear seat belt reels and receivers, plastic gas tank cover(if you dare) In front, washer reservoir, smog equipment and vacuum storage in R/F fender, front bumper cross bar, A/C condensor, aluminum heads for iron if budget allows (50lbs. or so) and battery to the trunk etc..

Yeah, I haven't got around to removing the AC condenser and dryer/accumulator yet. I was also thinking about removing the passenger side airbag so there's at least another 20lb that can come off very easily at no cost.

So i went back and fourth with 410s and 373s and let me tell u i love my 410s they are not near as bad as people think i still get 20 mpg on the freeway with a 55 series tire at 2700 rpms. pretty much my 410s made my car a beast lol highly suggest them hope this helps.:D

You could get even more weight out by getting creative in the trunk area, sound deadener, spare and tools (need those in case of a puncture), carpet/cardboard (need those), deck speakers (need those), rear seat belt reels and receivers (PITA to remove), plastic gas tank cover if you dare (I'm chicken) In front, washer reservoir (I keep it near empty anyway), smog equipment and vacuum storage in R/F fender (already gone), front bumper cross bar (need that for protection), A/C condensor (gone), aluminum heads for iron if budget allows (maybe someday) and battery to the trunk (mine weighs only 27lb) etc..

It's a street car so I don't want to go overboard.