What's needed for 85GT to 93GT front end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmockDoiley

Jun 14, 2003
San Diego, CA
I want to do a 1993 Cobra clone, and I decided instead of buying a 93, I'll just use my 1985. I know you need to change the hood, headlights, and get one of those bumper covers from any body company. But what else do I need? Are there different headlight brackets, or bumper supports or whatever to install the front bumper. I'll worry about the quarter glass, badges, and spoiler later.

• Sponsors (?)

dont forget to get the headlight wiring harness off the doner car.

But why would you lose the 4 eyed look. Just sell the car and get a 90-93 mustang. Keep the 4 eyed Stang alive and sell it to someone who likes it.

-a

:nonono:

Uh Oh - Here we go again!

Well you will need to start by switching out the entire interior -- noting is the same. Many have had more than a few problems getting the 87-93 interior parts to line/bolt up do to the differences inmounting locations.

You may need new doors on account of the different style mirrors.

All the molding on the car will need to be changed.

You will need an 86 engine wiring harness in order to plug n play into the existing 79-85 body harness. Modify the 86 harness to accept mass air .

The hood, bumper brace/brackets, bumper covers, lights (front - stripe your current 85 tails)

Figure out how in the hell to install air bags to use a stock looking 93 Cobra steering wheel.

INstall a EFI pump and wire it up to work with your ignition.

Get an 8.8 rearend. True dual exhaust and tranny crossmember.

Swap out the front spindals and struts to use the 87 up brakes.

Sure seems like a lot more work than putting a for sale sign in your 85 and buying a 91-93 GT where you only need a handful of stuff to make it work.

Hope I helped :D

93 LX said:
But why would you lose the 4 eyed look. Just sell the car and get a 90-93 mustang. Keep the 4 eyed Stang alive and sell it to someone who likes it.

-a

SwAmPf0x said:
Say it aint so brotha

moonenn3186 said:
:nonono:

Uh Oh - Here we go again!

Sure seems like a lot more work than putting a for sale sign in your 85 and buying a 91-93 GT where you only need a handful of stuff to make it work.

Hope I helped :D

i agree with these guys. sell her to a 4-eyed fan. or make a 4-eyed cobra clone :shrug:

Like I said I'm only changing the front end. I have $16k in my car so I'm not selling it and its staying carbed so I dont need to do all that stupid fuel injection stuff. I'm also not changing the interior either since its all custom. Just wanted to turn the exterior into a 93 Cobra but nobody seems to know the exact details of how to change the front bumper. I already stated it needed a bumper cover, moldings, and headlights and of course a new wiring setup but am I forgeting anything?

I think its pretty obvious it would need all those changes if I asked about them but I didnt. Besides it already has 5 lug cobra brakes, and an 8.8. But your all right I'll just sell the car and build a whole other one up from the ground up. You guys are retarded if you think I'm going to start all over again after all the work and time I put into this one. I love 93 Cobras but dont want to spend 5k on a new Mustang and then buy the kit to make it look like a Cobra when I can do it on mine for less than 2K.

SmockDoiley said:
But your all right I'll just sell the car and build a whole other one up from the ground up. You guys are retarded if you think I'm going to start all over again after all the work and time I put into this one.

Amen to that! I'm sick of all you people flipping out when somebody wants to loose the 4eyed nose. Personally, i might not do it, but who really cares? After the car is modified to all hell, origionality doesn't mean jack *****, like really.

Don't worry, I dont need your list because everybody lists all this crap I dont need even though I already explained what I need. Then of course, nobody here knows what to do so they tell me things I already said, like get a bumper cover. Really? I didnt know that, how obvious could you get. If you dont have an answer for sure then dont post. And if I do do the change, I'm not selling you my stuff cause this stuff is hard to come by. I love the 4-eyed look but the car is already totally modified and I want a 93 Cobra. So the answer would be; convert the front end with a 1k kit from cervini's or one of the others.

What you need is the bumper cover,the hood,fender extensions, the headlights,headlight support piece, the inner bumper and bumper shocks.Hood hinges and hood release are the same.That is the minimum.Everyting bolts up but some cars might need some holes drilled for the fender extensions.To do it right you also need to replace the side moldings and rear bumper cover as the shape of the molding is cast into the front bumper cover and it will not match the side moldings.You can also change the chrome door handle and window trim to the newer blacked out style and change to the newer quarter windows(which means you will also need the new style interior panel).Wiring is fairly straightforward for the signal and park lights,either use crimp on connectors or in some cases the sockets are the same so you just plug them in.As far as the headlights go, the four eyes have a ground and lowbeam wire going to each headlight and a highbeam wire going to one.Simply solder the highbeam wire to the new highbeam wire,solder the two grounds together to the new ground wire and solder the two lowbeam wires to the new lowbeam wire.

I did the swap after i got in a wreck, I bought a LX bumper cover from a salvage yard for 200 +25 for the core support which i didnt need, you take the old one off it unbolts, the you must switch the bumper and shocks as mentioned above. The 4 eyed ones are too short to support the longer bumper. i think like 1 and 3/4 inches short, anyways unbolt the shocks from inside the engine compartment, and put in the new donor shocks then weld the shocks because the holes wont line up. Also i had to modify the latch because i got an aftermarket hood .well bolt everything back on and then wire the headlights i went to autozone and bought a harness made for early model to late model headlights and wired it up i did the swap in 2 days so it isnt that hard and i took my time i hope this helps some just my 2

Awesome, see those are good examples of answering the question. That really helps because I didnt know about the shocks. I guess I'll have to find a donor cause I was just going to buy an aftermarket bumper cover. I'll call one of those mustang parts suppliers that have all those junked cars. I saw them in 5.0 Mustang. So Autozone had an actual harness to do this swap? Was it a drop in or did it require thinking and modifying, lol? What did you ask for or do you have a part number? Thanks, Scot Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.