Whats needed to put Cobra brakes and rotors on front of 93 GT ?

JH23

Nov 1, 2006
thinking of doing that to mine but wanted to know if there was somethign special needed or will they just hook up on there...knowing the luck i have...there'll be tons of stuff needed lol

Jamie

• Sponsors (?)

ok...i am wanting to put cobra rotors on thefront of my 93 GT...what will fit and what will be needed.....i just read my own dern title and it even confused me...sorry guys

Jamie

Again - *1993* Cobra, or *94+* Cobra?

Regarding front brakes: 1993 Cobra I *think* you need just the rotors with the different hats, but also larger-than-16" wheels to fit around them. For 94+ Cobras, you need hubs/spindles, rotors/pads/calipers, brakelines, etc. A bunch of work.

http://svo73mm.cjb.net/ has the info you need, either way.

Read the above. Anything we tell you will just be echoing that site - and it won't be as in-depth.

SN95 brakes are better, but you have to convert to 5-lug and 4-wheel disc.

If you want to stay with 4-lug, you can get aftermarket big brake kits. If you want to stay with rear drums and only want bigger front rotors...well, I don't really know.

No problem :)

See the raised area where the lugs are?

93cobrarotor.jpg

That's the "rotor hat". The '93 Cobra ones won't fit under certain wheels due to their size.

Attachments

• 93cobrarotor.jpg
    93cobrarotor.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 56
mansonozz ... you are the man...and if i remember correctly...you have to have 17" wheels,which i do :)...so with that being said...would there be any difference in putting drilled & slotted gt rotors or cobra rotors?

Jamie

I once upgraded my stock '92 brakes to direct replacements that were drilled/slotted. I did it for looks. I noticed no difference. Some will say they noticed a difference but most urge not to buy them hoping for performance.

I've since upgraded to a 2001 Bullitt 5-lug/all-disc setup, and got the drilled/slotted rotors again. For looks, again.

Is money an object in your brake project? If so, you might want to go the used route and piece together a SN95 kit. You can use V6 or V8 parts. Even though they're not "Cobra" or the high-end 1994-2004 brakes, they are still a GREAT and worthwhile upgrade from what you have on your Fox body.

If money isn't an object, you can get a full kit from Ford, Baer, etc. or piece together a 94+ Cobra/Bullitt/Mach 1 (all the same sized parts) kit.

WIth either of those, you will change over to 5-lug and therefore new wheels will be required. If you don't wanna do that, check out Baer or Wilwood kits for 4-lug big brake kits. Yuo can still get drilled/slotted rotors so they look cool, and improve your braking and go 4-wheel disc without changing rims.

i'm not really looking for stopping power because i always drive the speed limit...ALWAYS...i'm 35 with no wrecks or tickets( thank the good Lord above) so i wanna keep it that way...just doing it mostly for looks

Jamie

^ALways a quick and easy dressup option.

Bigger brakes isn't necessarily a speeder's thing! Haha. Safety is another issue, and trust me - these SN95 brakes are a night and day difference over the stock ones. I didn't think I'd care about the difference but once I finally did it for performance and modification reasons, I was in love with them. I can't imagine going back to stock brakes.

But anyway, some caliper (and drum) paint, some aftermarket direct-replacement drilled (or dimpled)/slotted/zinc washed rotors, and you'll look a lot better. Then again, larger rotors up front and rotors out back always look 200% better than small rotors up front and drums in the back :)