What's that big fat black plastic thing?

Discussion in '2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech' started by evintho, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. On my n/a 2.3 '89 Mustang, the big piece connected by 3" hoses between the airbox and the throttle body that says Ford on it. Looks almost like a muffler inside. I removed my air silencer today. Is that another type of air silencer? Is it necessary? Also, do you guys put any type of screen in front of the 2" hole on the airbox, after removing the silencer, to keep leaves and whatnot from clogging up the air filter?
    John :D
  2. It’s called an air resonator and it helps to keep the noise of the intake down. Its just in the way, you can use some PVC pipe to make a clean runner from the box. I don’t think that there is a need to put a screen in place of the silencer. You could get a cone K&N in place of the box. Take a look at what some of the other guys and girls have to make a cold air kit by using the search function at the top.
  3. You can chop the plastic crap out of the inside of the resonator, and it opens it up. It's actually bigger inside than any PVC you can make fit, but I don't know if any turbulence in the air might have a detrimental effect. Ohh, I know...get a Tornado. :rolleyes:

  4. dont bag it till you try it! go tornado!
  5. If you look at the ID its only like 1.5" in the middle. I just got through throwing mine in the trash and put a 3" tubing on it. I think it helps me on the top end but its not a lot of gain to notice. Next, I'm chunking the air box etc and using a CAI.
  6. Just cut the sucker out........ its worthless..... lol