whats the best and cheapest way to put discs on my rear axle

• Sponsors (?)

I just bought this kit, I also purchased the front kit with 13" rotors. Very nice stuff for the money. Disc Kit

1165rear-sdz-rotor-red.jpg

scarebird mechanical has rear disc brackets for sale, and they give you a parts list.

another way to go is get the rear brakes from a late model crown vic or grand marquis.

With 31 spline axles, I suspect you may have the big bearings. If this is true, go with a set of Explorer brakes. I picked up a set from Taylor auto (a little drive from rochester) for $50, complete.

not necessarliy, you can put 31 spline axles in a stock mustang 9" housing, even the factory CJ mustangs with 31 spline axles used the same housing as a 351 2v mustang.

If you want a parking brake that works, the internal drum of the Exploder/Crown Vic Wilwood kits can't be beat. I just switched to that on my EvM 3-link since there was no clearance for the Baer disc brake parking brake actuator, and the parking/emergency brake difference is amazing. Very easy to set. Heavier than a disc-only setup, but a functional e-brake is worth it on a street car IMHO. The insurance companies probably agree too. ;-)

yeah but the explorer kit won't work on the early small bearing housings that all 65-73 mustangs came with either.

If the Explorer doesn't work then the Vic setup will. Only down side to the Vic setup is the rotor is a solid rotor instead of vented like the explorer. I've got an entire setup waiting to go on my 8" if I ever get time/motovation to work on it. Gota scrap my old daily driver before I start touching the 67 again....

If the Explorer doesn't work then the Vic setup will. Only down side to the Vic setup is the rotor is a solid rotor instead of vented like the explorer. I've got an entire setup waiting to go on my 8" if I ever get time/motovation to work on it. Gota scrap my old daily driver before I start touching the 67 again....

actually, the exlporer has solid discs too. the one thing about the explorer kit that is different from CV brakes, besides the mounting flange, is that the explorer kit has the calipers mounted in a normal orientation both calipers on the same side of the axle centerline (front or back) whereas the CV discs have one caliper in front of the axle and one caliper behind the axle, other than those 2 differences the explorer and cv discs are almost identical functionally and aesthetically.

Bnickle, looks like you straightened me out on that one. I just looked it up and they are solid in 2000. I thought they went to a vented setup by 2000 but I guess not.

The Vic setup has enough space in it to accomodate a vented rotor if you could find one that would work with the parking break setup. At least thats what I remember. I havn't looked at it in a while.

Bnickle, looks like you straightened me out on that one. I just looked it up and they are solid in 2000. I thought they went to a vented setup by 2000 but I guess not.

The Vic setup has enough space in it to accomodate a vented rotor if you could find one that would work with the parking break setup. At least thats what I remember. I havn't looked at it in a while.

yeah and i thought i had found one that would work on eaby, but it mat have actualy been for a later model vic instead. i can't remember now though

yeah and i thought i had found one that would work on eaby, but it mat have actualy been for a later model vic instead. i can't remember now though

The Crown Vic's rear rotors didn't go to ventilated discs until the 2003-present models. However, unlike the '92-'95 versions and then the '96-2002 C-V versions, the '03-up C-V discs are a different diameter, the calipers are different from previous models and both calipers mount in front of the axle housing, and the main cast caliper mounting bracket is configured for a housing end flange with a vertical bolt pattern instead of the more conventional horizontal pattern.

--In otherwords, it's not a [more or less] direct swap over like the earlier C-V versions. About the only solution I can see to mount the '03-up C-V brakes would involve cutting the 8/9-inch small bearing end flanges off, rotate them 90-degrees, and then weld them back on in order to mount the newer brake version. This would require a jig fixture to make sure the end flanges are true and square when being welded back onto the housing. That effectively takes out any simple bolt-on qualities of the '03 version.

The Crown Vic's rear rotors didn't go to ventilated discs until the 2003-present models. However, unlike the '92-'95 versions and then the '96-2002 C-V versions, the '03-up C-V discs are a different diameter, the calipers are different from previous models and both calipers mount in front of the axle housing, and the main cast caliper mounting bracket is configured for a housing end flange with a vertical bolt pattern instead of the more conventional horizontal pattern.

--In otherwords, it's not a [more or less] direct swap over like the earlier C-V versions. About the only solution I can see to mount the '03-up C-V brakes would involve cutting the 8/9-inch small bearing end flanges off, rotate them 90-degrees, and then weld them back on in order to mount the newer brake version. This would require a jig fixture to make sure the end flanges are true and square when being welded back onto the housing. That effectively takes out any simple bolt-on qualities of the '03 version.

hwat i meant was that i thought i had found an aftermarket rotor for the 96-02 Vic that was ventilated, but i haven't been able to figure out where i found it, though i'm fairly certain it was one of the Ebay sellers that specializes in brake parts. i'll keep looking and if i can ever find it again i'll post it here.

good eye.

the description says "rear" but the reviewer mentions it's a front. Hard to tell if it has the drum brake surface inside of it.

Uhh, if you eliminate the word "cheapest" in this thread, just go with the Wilwood Superlite kit! :D:rlaugh: