whats the best engine for a 87-93 GT?

fordraceing_man

Mar 31, 2005
just curuios whats the best engine to put into a 87-93 GT?
something that could hopfully compete with a 3v or 4v 4.6
would it be 302, 347, 351 ? kinda confused here whats the best route to go do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

fordraceing_man said:
just curuios whats the best engine to put into a 87-93 GT?
something that could hopfully compete with a 3v or 4v 4.6
would it be 302, 347, 351 ? kinda confused here whats the best route to go do you guys think?
bigger is always better...that said, i whoop up on the new GTs with my nearly stock 5.0

well budget im not sure about my basically just a fast fing car lol if you guys that have been doing this for so long could go back and do it again what engine would you put in it?
i know a friend with a 347 and 4.10 rear end and its fast as heck think hes getting 12.08's but just wondering whats the best way to go with them.

i guess, with an unlimited budget, i would go with a 351 stroked to 408...or a 331 or 347 would be nice since it weighs about the same as a stock 302 but has more cubes...of course a big block is always good. cheapest route would be a stock 5oh motor with nitrous...or a turbo

a 347 is a 302 block, but its bored and stroked, so its no longer 5.0 litres of displacement...more like a 5.7ish. a 347 is by far not a task to do with a small budget. if you are going to do a stroker, yeah you can do it half ass, but stuff is going to break and it wont make all that much power, if you are going to do it right, its a good $6000+ for a reliable, powerful, professionally well built stroker. if you are talking best bang for the buck with potential to upgrade upon later, IMO id have to say a 351. minor stuff needed to swap, and alot of potential. your tranny and suspension is going to need to be upgraded regaurdless of what you do, because stock suspension can only safely handel so much, and your car will be very hard to control with all that power. id start with suspension first, then worry about motor and tranny. i have known a few too many people that get a kick ass stroker built, throw it in a stock 5.0 and crash the car within a week because the car is not setup correctly

Well there are plenty of ways to can go if your not going to give a $$ limit.

Very mild H/C/I such as cobra intake/gt40 heads/ E or Equal cam to a 300 rwhp H/C/I using AFR's, TFS etc.

Or a H/C/I stroker, nitrous, blower, 351 stroked, there are so many ways you can go its not even funny. If I had a unlimited budget and a full on street car it would be a aftermarket block 331 h/c/i and a BIG turbo, F1 or F2 but thats mega money. Plus you gotta think about if your drivetrain can handle te power your trying to make.

i agree with the bowtie killer, my bud has a dart block big bored to a 427 and it really moves plus he runs all his accesories ac and all with no problem right know he is saving for a garret twin turbo and i would say he might need a paracute after that. he dogs z06's all day and ate my mildly tuned ls1 apart. to make a long story short "there is no replacement for displacement"

A 351 Windsor based 408 stroker. There is a guy aaround here that has one in a 90 GT and its absolutly a bad@$$ on the street/strip. He hits 2nd and 3rd gear and the car just takes off.

I have never priced out the kits to stroke these motors, but my next foxbody will be rocking one!

Ultimate low buck 351w stroker would be the 393w.

Good cam / heads / intake

that would be a sweat deal.

If you have more money look into 408's.

I have a spare 351w in the garage, and it will be built to a budget 393w. This is after I have played with the 408w.

jason

No budget - Just order this from Bennett racing

363 cid-545hp

-Bennett Racing Basic Dart Shortblock 363 cubic inches
-Custom Grind Hydraulic Roller Camshaft
-Canton 7 quart Oil Pan Kit
-ATI Harmonic Balancer
-Stage 3 TFS TW Cylinder Heads
-Roller Rockers & Hardened Pushrods
-TFS "R" Series Intake-Ported Victor Jr-Ported for Carburetor Engines
-Dyno Tested & Tuned

$12,995

This the ultimate streetable 302 based engine. It makes a whopping 545hp and 480 ft/LB torque on pump gas and is fully streetable. We have sold these engines to customers with early model Mustangs, Late Model Mustangs, and the popular Cobra Replicas. This engine typically runs 10.30 to 10.60 in a 3100lb car on motor, and we have had customer's run fast as 8.90 with nitrous.

Order me one too please.........

Ok, to be 100% honest have you done ANY research or did you just sign up on stangnet one day and decide to ask all these questions. Use the search bar at the top of the page, many of your answers can be found on this site. Or just search google. Iam sure within a hour or so you could actually find out how much a 351 stroker is going to cost.