What's the best way to remove pilot bearing?

Justin81

Jan 9, 2012
Pittsburgh
Is there an easy way to remove the pilot bearing. I tried packing the area behind the bearing with grease and used a socket extension and hammer to try and compress it out. Didn't work. Do you have to beat the grap out of the socket extension? I didn't want to damage the crankshaft. The bearing didn't even seem like it move at all while trying this. Is there a better way? I'm swapping out the clutch and knew I was going to hit a road block because everything was going way too easy.

• Sponsors (?)

Check with the AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts or other major auto parts chain store in your area for a loaner pilot bearing tool. The bearing will probably come out in two pieces, but using the puller, it will come out. I have done it two or three times and it worked for me.

They have the pilot removal tools at harborfreight at least they used to have em. I used ( believe it or not) plumbers putty and a piece of dowel, worked like a charm. in the past when I had a really stubborn one I used a dremel with a little cutting wheel to create a crack in the race (that was after I ripped all of the guts out with my puller) I was ultra careful not to go too deep. Then I did the compression thing with the putty.

I rented the pilot bearing removal tool from autozone and was only able to remove the bearing from the bushing. I ended up breaking one of the claws on the tool trying to remove the bushing. Returned it to autozone and rented there blind hole puller tool and had the bushing out within a minute. If it wasn't so pricey I would of just bought it. It saved me from chiseling away at the bushing.

I tried the grease method, it was way too messy for me, made all of the tools too slippery to work with. Someone suggested bar soap cut into bits and crammed in the hole, and it actually worked for me. Looking back on it, I think it best to just rent/borrow the tool...

The grease/wet paper/clay/soap/jizz method is a joke, it seems to work every time for some people, but never for others. Whether it works or not, it always makes a mess. The tool is the way to go, it's actually designed for the job and it won't leave you wiping bearing grease off of every contactable surface in a 3 foot radius, haha.

Thats why I used wet paper. No mess. And no marks in the crank. The key is to have the thing full before ya start hammering and make the socket fit the hole as tight as possible without getting stuck. Works slick every time.