What's the cheapest way to build an 11 sec daily driven 5.0?

Johnnb

Jun 16, 2005
The Couve
Well my brother-in-law just moved here after he graduated from college and I took him out for a ride in my GT and we had some fun and now he is hooked. He found a 1995 roller out of North Cali that he bought and in it's previous life it was a low 10 sec daily driver with no expense spared and it came with everything but the motor/trans and DFI.

This guy is one of the most cheap persons that I have ever met before and I told him that if you want a good solid car that this is not the right sport to be in if your cheap and he just laughed and said he does not mind paying for quality.

So any ideas on how to build a good 5.0 daily driver that runs 11's for as cost effective as possible would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Lol...oh ya I totaly forgot about that you wanted like what $4,500 for the motor, and charger?

It was something like that. I might already have a buyer for it though. But money talks. hehehehe.

Just find a cheep 5.0 and pump it full of nitrous!! hehehe. You will either get into the 11's or split the block. Either way it should be fun.

Oh the easiest by far is go with a bigger fuel pump 42 pound injectors pro-m throttle body, twin t3 turbos off of the old 1983-1986 thunderbird.
With stock everything else you can pull off 420rwhp 450rwtq. How can you go wrong?
Screw doing the heads/cam/intake crap. Because doing that alone will net you what? 320rwhp? Weak.

Plus screw doing heads/cam/intake + twin t-3 turbos. Why? Because the stock block isnt' going to be holding out if you want mroe power than 420rwhp.

All can be done for $2,000. So what are you guys waiting for? Twin turbo that 5.0 and give me a ride in it!

Plus screw doing heads/cam/intake + twin t-3 turbos. Why? Because the stock block isnt' going to be holding out if you want mroe power than 420rwhp.
There are people in this very forum who have pushed stock blocks to over 500 whp...

I'd actually do heads/cam/intake and then the turbo. I just wouldn't do *expensive* heads/cam/intake. GT40Ps, OTS turbo-friendly cam, OEM Cobra intake, and a turrrbo. Oh, and a stout tranny...

I ran the times in my sig with a stock headed, stock cammed $300 mk7 engine. If 11s is all you want, you can weld and fabricate, and know a bit about turbos you can make 450 at the wheels with about $1500 out of pocket. Spend another $1k-$1500 on a decent C4 and converter, get some slicks, and your running low 11s or even 10s.

And no bottle to fill:nice: .

Used 5.0, stroked windsor, good auto, slicks, fuel, seats, stereo, misc stuff... probably probably 15-20K. Rock solid, reliable, etc... 25-30K with nice paint and wheels/tires, body kit, etc...

Oh, you can almost ALWAYS buy somebody elses project done or near done, for much, MUCH, (did I mention much...) cheaper than you can build it yourself. Just fyi

Dave

Check e-bay, dragracingjunk.com, places like that for a good rolling chassis on the cheap. Usually has cage, brakes, rear end, etc... already done for a fraction of what all the pieces would cost you.

:flag: :nice:

Now your talking! If you have a old 302 sitting around slap a home build turbo system to it. Good tips in this thread. I am talking notes also. Going to build a turbo for my notch for 2008 race season. I am thinking of going with a 351 stroker myself. Makes more sense. Good luck.