What's the fastest mustang currently sold with a warranty?

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Vass, NC
When I see comparisons in the magazines like GT500 vs. Z06 or Corvette ZR1, it makes me wonder if the editors of that magazine have considered the options available for the GTs and Shelbys.

I know that a base-line GT500 is not the quickest mustang as they have the "super-snakes" etc... The last time I checked, the fastest mustang sold was the 725hp SS, but that was a few years back, and at the time it wasn't warrantied.

• Sponsors (?)

I've never heard of a Mustang SS :thinking:

There was a Mustang Super Snake that made 545HP, but that was 14 years ago.

The current Cobra Super Snakes are something you have to send off to Carol Shelby to have done special. The high end version doesn't have a warranty.

I think the KR was only 08-09, and was 540 HP, same as the '11 Cobra.

I'm going to have to go with Sparta on this one.

Thanks for the responses.

Are the super snakes from Shelby warrrantied by Ford? i.e. if I send my hypothetical brand new GT500 off to Shelby, and then a year later the transmission has a catastrophic failure, can I take it to a ford dealership for a warrantied replacement? What about the GT350? Do the 600+ blown GT350s come with a warranty? Would I have to send it off to Shelby again to do the warranty work?

I'm pretty sure that's a no. According to their website, the top of the line KRs (sorry, I was wrong earlier, you can still send the GT500s off to Shelby for the KR upgrade) do not have warranties and I don't believe the 600hp GT350s have them either.

But here's my question. If you can afford a $50k car, and then afford a $35k upgrade, insurance and gas, are you really concerned about a warranty? How much does it cost to replace a transmission? A couple thousand bucks? It's pretty much a drop in the bucket at that point.

I'm concerned about it for comparison's sake. If a Shelby is still offered with a factory warranty that Ford honors, then in my book, it's comparable to the potential ZL1.

I disagree with your hypothesis though. I believe that someone spending or making the payments wouldn't much like an expensive transmission or engine on top of the payments they're making.

Anyway, a couple years back, the top of the line 725hp KR was the only one without a warranty. The lesser models came with one, and I think Ford honored it.

This from shelby's website,
http://www.shelbyautos.com/2011gt500.asp said:
The Super Snake post title package includes enhancements to the 2007-2012 Ford Shelby GT 500’s handling, styling and power; tuning options range from a warranted 600 HP V8 to over 800 HP (unwarranted). Only a limited number of Super Snakes will be built per model year to ensure exclusivity of the legend; each is documented in the official Shelby Registry.
2007-2011 Super Snakes are available with an optional matte white stripe and anthracite wheels.

I couldn't find any more information about how the warranties work. If you know, I'd appreciate input on whether they are still factory warrantied.

I'm concerned about it for comparison's sake. If a Shelby is still offered with a factory warranty that Ford honors, then in my book, it's comparable to the potential ZL1.

I disagree with your hypothesis though. I believe that someone spending or making the payments wouldn't much like an expensive transmission or engine on top of the payments they're making.

My view is that you've gotta pay to play. If a part breaks, and Ford isn't going to replace it, then it's a good excuse to upgrade. Personally, I wouldn't even get something replaced under warranty if I can replace it with something better or stronger than what's going to come from your local Ford dealership. I understand most Mustang owners aren't like those of us who post here on SN, but if you're spending near on $100k on a Mustang, I'm just not going to be worried about a warranty. Maybe it's just me, though. :shrug:

Yeah, I can see your point, if I didn't care about money then I'd pay for something myself even if it was under warranty.

Then again, I think I'd rather spend $70k for a 600hp vehicle with a 3-5 year warranty than $80k for an 800hp one without that warranty. I guess it's just me.