Whats the minimum needed to put the hurting on a new edge

I know us stang guys need to be sticking together.. but sometimes it gets old when the 1999-2004 guys make a mockery of my "slow turd" sn95 :notnice: Im familiar with various n/a 300 hp combinations, boosted setups and the like.. but ive never actually looked into the minimum needed to top a new edge. I dont think we need to crack into the motor, do we?

Another question for ya... Ive never driven a new edge, but it sounds like they dont "feel" as fast stock for stock as the 5.0 cars? Can someone whos driven both chime in?

• Sponsors (?)

Slap a nice nitrous kit on :nice: I mean with my mods and my nitrous shot is only an 80 I beat my friends 07 GT 5 spd. That was without my new headers that I am putting on, throttle body, and my chip for my AODE to shift right that I got from gcomfx/Paul of of here. Also my purge solenoid was leaking...it was close but I pulled ahead.

I probably have to step it up to 100 shot now because he got an intake and tune.

believe me.. Ive highly considered a stealthy 100 shot.. but its still has its pros and cons. I know an h/c/i will net 290-320 to the wheels, but I never said I wanted to hang with ls1s quite yet ;) Im just aiming for the new edges and some extra reassurance against pesky rice. Wouldnt mind hanging with those LT1s too, but im thinking heads are in order for that.

believe me.. Ive highly considered a stealthy 100 shot.. but its still has its pros and cons. I know an h/c/i will net 290-320 to the wheels, but I never said I wanted to hang with ls1s quite yet ;) Im just aiming for the new edges and some extra reassurance against pesky rice. Wouldnt mind hanging with those LT1s too, but im thinking heads are in order for that.

What ls1's stock... poorly maintained ones...
your gonna need h/c/i + supporting mods

ive spanked them with my mod list w/o the headers. i had an x pipe and flowmaster catbac, 65mm tb, typhoon u/l manifolds, 24lb inj. and a cai. with the 3.08 gears. they are not that quick stock. if you engine is in decent shape, you shouldnt have that much trouble. i believe they run low 14s stock maybe dip into the 13s with a really good driver.

The difference in driving the two is that the 5.0 has a lot of grunt down low and is done by 4800rpm and the 4.6 is really weak down low and likes a lot of rpms to make power. My brother had a 2000 GT. It actually liked being in a gear lower (around town) than a similar 5 speed 95/5 would. You can "lug" a 5.0 around town in 3rd gear, all day. Not so, with a 4.6.

H/C/I is what we require to ride with them, horsepower wise. Although the "blower in a bottle" would do the same thing. ($45 to refill a 10# cylinder adds up, after a while.) I wouldn't know where to begin to get a new edge to "leave". Prolly some 4.56 gears, drag radials and a tune to compensate for the soggy bottom end, just for starters. High rpm (launches and such) is hard on drivelines, too.

Just remember guys 99-01 are the slower years with the NON PI heads 02-04 are the quicker ones. Also you have to remember these are mustangs, none of them are going to be completely stock.

Incorrect. The '96-'98 rides are NPI. The 99-04 are PI.

The '96-'98 vs. '94-'95 is a drivers race.

Matter of fact, two of my friends (I flagged them) raced a bone stock '94 GT vs. a '98 GT (loaded) from a 5 MPH roll. This took out the launch factor.

The '98 started pulling and made 1.5 cars on him until 70 MPH. Guess what? The '94 GT driver was better at the time than the drive of the '98. :)

'98 had 3.27:1 and '94 had 2.73:1. So I contend that they are a driver's race.

I have never had a problem with "torque" in a 4.6L. There higher powerband gives the impression of less "torque" down low.

I would not go by SOTP, because it is easily fooled. Look at the dyno/track. 99-04 rides dyno 230-235 RWHP with a stick, bone stock.

By the way, we also weighed the '94 GT (full tank) 5spd and it was 3,380 lbs. We then weighed a '00 GT with 17x9 chrome wheels, leather, mach 460, and it came in at 3,337 lbs (half tank).

A '99-'04 can trap 99-100 MPH, so that is what you need to shoot for, or roughly 230 RWHP. :nice:

Its always a drivers race. My friend has a 98 cobra and I take him out the hole and str8 to 100. From the hole and from a role. I always get him by like 1 car. And I am stock with the exception of the x-pipe. And I havent met 1 "new edge" mustang yet that has given me a hard time (stock and just exhaust). Another friend of mine had full exhaust 3.73's CAI, clutch, shifter and could only pull 14.4 in the 1/4 so they dont impress me at all. Especially because most of the people who drive them dont know how to drive. But most of my friends think my car was built on a wednesday, lol

Anyway dont worry about the 4.6's they put out pretty horse power numbers but are useless in using it. (just my opinion)

GTA - The 4.6L is light years ahead of pushrod technology. It is a much more efficient engine.

I have OWNED both, and drove SEVERAL different 5.0L's to 4.6L's. :)

I have beat two zo6 vettes before. Does that mean they do not know how to use their HP? Could the driver possibly be at fault?

A good friend of mine had a 01 gt that I have drove on several occaisions and his car pulled a little harder in upper rpm's than my car did stock but not much. A 94/95 gt needs gears and some small bolt on's to keep up with 99-04 gt.

I can easily out run most of them but not because I have more power because I am a decent driver and most of the guys I've lined up with at the track were inexperienced drivers.

The 98 gt's had 10 more hp than the 96-97 gt's which could explain the reason it pulled on the 94.