whats the point of having O2 censors????

Michael Yount said:
It doesn't cover SD. It's useful to have nonetheless to understand the working of many of the sensors and such; but it's geared up to cover the mass-air systems.

That is what I was afraid of. Still though like you say the majority of the sensors function the same way on the SD system anyway. I would think the way the computer uses information from say the ECT sensor for exapmle is the same for SD as mass air correct?

• Sponsors (?)

Ray - it's probably just semantics. But the O2 sensors don't actually measure the a/f ratio. They measure how much difference their is between the amount of oxygen in the exhaust stream and the amount of oxygen that's in the atmosphere (the O2 sensor is open to ambient air as well). The computer takes that data and CALCULATES a/f ratio -- and compares what it calculates to what it's trying to control to. Based on those calculations/comparisons - it then alters fuel and timing to bring the a/f closer to where it wants it to be.

Shape - I think it's useful enough that I'd buy it even if I had a speed density system. The biggest difference between the two is that mass-air systems attempt to actually measure the mass of air entering the engine. SD systems CALCULATE the mass of air entering based on temperatures, manifold pressure and rpm. The other sensor that's different is BAP vs. MAP. The mass air system uses BAP - which is open to atmosphere - to determine barometric pressure which it uses in calculations. The SD system has that sensor hooked to the intake where it measures manifold pressure - MAP - manifold absolute pressure.

The Shape said:
Cool , I think I will order it. Is there any kind of money back guarantee that I will be as smart as you and jrichker after I read it?
:rlaugh: :hail2:

there might be for you TS. i know if i had asked the same question, the answer would be a resounding NO. LOL.