Whats the Smog Canister For, and will i pass Emissions w/out it?

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
I dont have a smog pump, but i passed Emissions anyways. I was wondering what exactly does the smog or vapor canister do? I unplugged the electrical crap connected to it, and i didnt get a check engine light, so i wanna ditch that thing, would it have any affect on emissions?

• Sponsors (?)

The carbon canister collects extra fuel vapors inside it. Once you turn your car off unused vapors are stored in the carbon casnister. So when you start your car again those vapors while eventually be used. Weather or not youll pass i am not sure. I dont see why not you would just be venting your fuel vapors to the atmosphere instead of burning them in the combustion cycle.

It won't affect your emmissions. the purpose of it is so that it reduces air pollution (kinda minimal, but it adds up considering how many cars are on earth) and so that you tank can vent, but not vent into the atmosphere, where you fuel can evaporate out of the tank, which is bad. just don't plug up the line because then you will get pressure in the tank, which also is bad. You'll know when you have it when you open your gas cap and air comes out of it, and hisses.

Leave the tubing up front, but remove the soleniod, and just leave the line that comes from the tank diconnected from the intake. It usually crosses over the front of the engine behind the alternator, and distributor. i would point it down at the ground so the vapors go under the car and not into the engine bay, you could end up having a very slight gasoline smell, but it should be very minimal, and non-existent, but that doesn't mean it won't smell.

" non-existent doesn't mean it won't smell". :D [/QUOTE] :rlaugh: A fart?
That is how bad reporters make people they want to criticize look bad, delete certain parts to make them mean other things or to be taken out of context. I just wanted to thank you about the tube that runs from the intake to the canistor things you explained on here. :hail2: Now I can do it with confidence, before I was second guessing what to do. :nice:

i took mine off a couple of weeks ago. where the line runs into the intake, plug it (buy these in assortment packs at auto store). i went to where the gas line runs back through the fender and cut it off, leaving just enough to fish it through a close by whole. i have not noticed smelling any fuel this way.