Whats the strength of the 351 sportsman block?

SmockDoiley

Jun 14, 2003
San Diego, CA
I'm not talking about the crazy race 4 bolt main stuff. Just the beefed up 351 Sportsman block. I'm looking to build a boosted 408 but cant afford the dart or eagle stuff. It'll be a 30 over with a main support. If a roller 302 can handle 600, I could see a sportsman 351 handling 750-800. Thanks, Scot Rod

• Sponsors (?)

Lidio Iaccobelli of Alternative Auto Performance has a 650+ RWHP '88 Notch that is running a Vortech'd 408 based off a 351 Sportsman block. The thing can run mid 9's all day. He drove it from Mount Clemens, Michigan to Bradenton, Florida...competed...then drove it back home. It runs on Sunoco Blue, but it has daily driver behavior...better than most stock/bolt-on cars.

www.alternativeauto.com for further details.

69-74 blocks are comparitalbe to the sportsman block. The sportsman block has thicker webbing and beefier mains as do the older blocks. The only thing about the sportsman block stuff is that for the money spent you still have thin cylinder walls. Dart block is only about 1k more and some more machine work, BUT....................you can get it with the smaller cleavland main journals (2.75) wich means less rotating mass and easier revs. Also, you can safely go like 440cubic inch with the dart block and it will handle WAY more power than any old windsor block and any sportsman block ever will. It's cheaper to do it right and do it once, then to smoke it and have to rebuild, especially with the power levels you are looking for, not happy with 500+ rwhp,rwt you already have :hail2: If I could have swung it I would have done a 9.5 deck cleavland mained dart for mine, but I was OVER budget when I started :rlaugh:
Mike.

Of course I'd love a Dart block because they are indestructible, BUT they are supporting power I will not be making, and they support bores I wont be doing. And the cleveland mains although faster, they are weaker. I've actually got a friend who wants to give me a 351W MExican block but with no main caps. They came with badass main caps, but Id have to source some strong caps because thats a big part in its strength.

SmockDoiley said:
Of course I'd love a Dart block because they are indestructible, BUT they are supporting power I will not be making, and they support bores I wont be doing. And the cleveland mains although faster, they are weaker. I've actually got a friend who wants to give me a 351W MExican block but with no main caps. They came with badass main caps, but Id have to source some strong caps because thats a big part in its strength.

Could always convert to 4bolt, isnt it milodon that makes a 4bolt main cap conversion for sbf?

Yeah I've posted about that very thing but they are about $250 plus machine work. And I'd still have to find the front and rear caps since the kit only comes with the center 3. I also need to find out what year the mexican 351s were made and if they will support the 4 bolt caps because of the extra drilling and stuff. Its worth it to get the free mexican because even if its 800 bucks or so to get the caps, and then get it all machined for the stroker and bore and stuff, its still cheaper than buying a $1000 sportsman block plus the $500 to prep.

The Sportsman 351 blocks are in the 1400 dollar range from what I remember seeing, I have a buddy that is a DART dealer and can get one to your door for around $2000. It is worth the extra money, when a power adder is involved.

The Sportsman blocks are beefierm but they still can splip up the middle and they only list to go out .030 over bore, where on the race blocks you can go out very far. I went through this a few months ago, of course I was looking at 1000HP+. I sold my stock block 74', and went to a 4 bolt Motorsport 9.2 deck, 2.75" main 351 block.

A properly thought out boosted 408 should make 700RWHP+ with no issues...