Whats up new member here... needs some advice too

Stray152

Mar 5, 2009
Hey guys whatsup.. just joined Stangnet. Was on another forum for a while but started to hate everyone there soo... here i am. Ive got an Comp Orange GT 5spd with 36k miles on it... and i love it.. and i wish i had never bought it. but hey.

Anyway, ive got this package coming in sometime between now and when i get home with TF heads, intake, TB, Plenum, cams, intake tube, head changing kit and a SCT tuner.

So... i think i can do it myself... with the engine in the car. And people have told me i could. Are we all crazy?.. i mean the way i look at it the hardest part will be degreeing the cams... other than that.. im pretty much taking off all old stuff and putting all new stuff in. (yes i know its much more complicated than that) Im just very comfortable with doing things with my hands, and.. the shop wanted 3K to put it in... i thought that was absurd.

So far ive just been told to assemble the heads w/ the cams before i bolt them up... other than that it seems pretty straight forward.

If your going to shoot me down tell me what mods you would be comfortable with some one doing themselves so i can have a reference point. I probably already did a few things people would never do themselves...

• Sponsors (?)

Uhh... should this be moved to the tech thread?:shrug: i wasnt sure because originally i planned on commenting more about me being new.. instead of my plans and the .. technicality of said plans.

Well if it should be moved or if i'd get actual replies there feel free to move it Mods

Welcome to Stangnet and good luck on the swap. Yeah, the hardest part will be the cam degreeing. It would help to have all the right tools and someone thats done it before. Everything else is just bolt out/in and your good :nice:

Hey thanks guys, im currently deployed but ive got alot of parts on order, some of them are at home already, others im still waiting on (like the heads that arent out yet)

To answer your question I wish i had never bought my car cause i paid 22K for it when it was a year old and im deployed all the time so ive only put like 4k miles on it since i got it. I could have waited a year or two until the economy and blue book values did this :puke: and got a cobra... now im upside down in the car like 4 grand and i only owe 11 on it. Plus its orange... do you know how many times i get pulled over...

But like i said, i love my car. It just wasnt the "smart decision".

Heres my parts list! im really excited to get home and drop all my combat pay into my car :D Its probably not the smartest idea but i figure its better than blowing it all on boozing eating and guns... which will just get me fat and in trouble.

Performance:
TF Heads(+head changing kit)
Modular Depot custom grind cams
(might drop those and go with cushman 2.5 N/As not sure, might mess up my package deal with Modular Depot)
TF intake manifold
Bullit TB
Bullit intake tube etc
SCT Tuner
Subframe connectors
Cobra 13" brakes

Looks:
Complete KW coilover kit
FT-402 front bumper
Smoked headlights w/clear corners
Tinted tail lights
Grille Delete
Xenon 900 rear wing (same as on FT-402)
Painted sideview mirrors

Already has:
Gears
Shifter
Catback

All that together +labor for the body parts will have me dipping into my credit card.
Engine stuff was 4K, the Coilover+bumper was 1.5K, labor for the bumper and wing im betting will be around another 1K. probably 700 to 1K for dyno... Ouch whats that all add up to 7.5... jesus. I also plan on buying the exhaust and such over time when i find deals on used stuff.

Thought about the CDC side exhaust kit like the FT-402 has.. but i didnt like all those bends in the exhaust and i didnt want to have to put the spatz on, it would have killed my budget painting and everything. I was going to go cobra Skirts, but i havent found any used recently so i just figured i'd keep the GT's for now.

I heard the TF heads with 270's made like 400 at the crank with no tune....im hoping i can get some more than that when this is all done. What do you think? and what do you think my 1/4 time will be about? Any recommendations or things you think i might not be considering?

Nce parts list! I've been debating back and forth to go NA or FI my car. But until I can save up the funds (probably another 2-3 yrs) I'll just sit back and learn. I'll watch your build with allot of interest as I'd prefer to go NA and if I can get 350-400 RWHP that makes my decision all that much easier. So when you get back and start doing it keep us informed.

Are you having Modular Depot do the install? They're not too far from me and when I have mine done will most likely use them as well.

I'm not so sure the color has much to do with getting pulled over. I've always been told red cars get pulled over most and I have yet to get pulled over in my torch red and I've had it 2 years (and I deserved it many times too!). But I've learned to stay out of the throttle a bit and have learned to take it easy, must be the old age kicking in.

Dude i know what its like having a car and being deployed ALL THE TIME. Its worth it trust me. Honestly after my final deployment i paid that sucker off, and now im debt free. I also feel ya on wanting a Termi, but still love my GT and I'll never get rid of it:D

400 RWHP N/A? Ehh... would be nice but i dont think i'll ever get there, not with a streetable car anyway. Do you think i'll need fuel upgrades? and i mean NEED

Depends on your goals. If you are going to be making some good power, I would think 24 or 30lbs injectors would not be a bad idea, and I mean like 350+ at the wheels n/a. Sounds like it will be a sweet car....and I always have a soft spot for comp. orange cars :D