Whats up with the X Cam?

rustang87

Apr 1, 2005
Sac
How come I never read about people using the X303 cam? It seems like an awsome cam, I am putting installing one in my stang in a few weeks. Everybody either sticks with the mainstreem E or a custom, (nothing wrong with custom). I would love to hear some feed back from users or people with similar cams. What is the Lobe Sep? The spec sheet said 107/117, other websites mentioning the cam say its 110.

• Sponsors (?)

The X-cam has to be put into the correct combo to get good results. The cam isn;t really suited for the combo that is listed in your sig.

SPECS are

Cam Style: Hydraulic roller tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 3,500-6,500 RPM
Intake Duration 050 inch Lift: 224
Exhaust Duration 050 inch Lift: 224
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 224 int./224 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 286
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 286
Advertised Duration: 286 int./286 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.542
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.542
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.542 int./0.542 exh. lift
Lobe Separation (degrees): 107
Intake Valve Lash (in): 0.000
Exhaust Valve Lash (in): 0.000
Computer Controlled: No
Grind Number: M-6250-X303

I forgot to mention that it is going to include:

EB Alum Perfomer Heads (1.60/1.90 base/ Ported/polished/Milled) New lifters/PR's
1.6 SVO RR
Accufab 70 MM TB (should I go with 75? No blower for a while...)
Port matched BBK Shorties
Custom Chip/ Tune/ Mobil 1 syn
Iknow i am forgeting something...

thats such a typical response....what was that...maybe thats becasue most people have such a mild combo and all they want is a big freakin cam...if you want a x, how about you get some victor jr's will will use the power range of the x cam, or maybe some z304 ford racing heads which work well with the x303 cam, while your at it go ahead and run a tfs R or victor intake to take advatange of the power band....does that make sence, its a big cam, and it needs to breath, you need to have the entire thing set up right, like rick said, he showed you the specs and with wht ya got its a little much, I would even go to say with what you plan on doing its a little much..and I would say heck with shorties if running a cam that needs to rev...long tubes all the way....hope it all makes sence now, and no, running the e cam just wants becasue its a typcial responce...because its a educated responce, have you looked into the tfs stage 1 cam at all? How about a custom cam? Maybe people recommend stuff that they seen work...also you going with the stock short block? If so....I dont think that cam will clearence with the stock shortblock

Sorry to break your bubble but an X cam wont make a whole lot of power unless you plan to bring it to 6500, which isnt a good idea on a 15 year old stock bottom. Besides, the Brock heads probably wont let it rev to 6500, the springs in there will promote valve float. Xcam is kind of a lost case because by the time you are interested in revving to 6500 and have a setup for that, you wouldnt choose an X cam ill tell you that much. Go with a cam suited for the brocks, I just bought a set of AFR 165s and TFS1 cam, people say its a great match and will pull healthy up to 5800. What wrong with that?

Have fun driving around town with a cam that doesn't come into play until 3500 rpm's. About a week of that and you'll be pulling it. Save the headache and buy the right cam now. I run a Crane 2040 which has the same spec's as the E-cam and it was still making power at 6000 rpm's the last time I had it on the dyno. Very streetable. (Sounds cool too, nice lope)

well you got a response.. you should expect some negative response.. a E or B cam would be best.. personally i love the E cam, very nice cam and not to radical but can make power.. i use the crap tacular 86 heads and it still does a lil better job than the stocker.. if you want to get the X then go ahead.. all you will do is waste 200 bucks on a cam that wont do **** for the car.. while your at it, you could bore the block .30 over, use the stock pistons but put bigger rings in it.. there you go! have a semi 306 with less power than the stock car..

all im gettin at is listen to these guys.. they've saved me from retarded things i was gonna do.. haste makes waste :notnice:

Yeah the z cam is pretty big for the performers. Have you considered the f-cam? I have one and although it is probably not my best choice I still have plenty of low end torque and did not lose much if any driveability. With a z-cam you will probably not be too happy in traffic when it starts bucking and is hard to drive smoothly at low rpms. The f-cam sounds great too, I will post some clips this weekend.

Joey