whats with the trap speed?

autumn_again

Oct 2, 2007
Hamilton, NJ
everyone i see with similar mods, is trapping around 106 or faster. i trapped 103.8.

i've actually seen a couple stock cars trap around 104 if i remember right.

i wasn't spinning the tires hardcore. but it broke em loose at the start, and the 2nd shift pretty bad, and a quick chirp on 3rd and 4th.

i thought with spinning the tires you'll get more MPH, with a slower trap speed, so are these guys just smoking the tires?
i staged shallow as hell. to the point that i took my foot off the brake and i actually rolled out of the beams by mistake.

i launched at 2k, just dumped the clutch and spun a little. i'm shifting at 6k.

am i winding it out too much for this tune? its the ford racing one that comes with the drag pack, probably should invest in a tuner next.

i don't think my shifts were too slow either, the RPMs barely dropped.

• Sponsors (?)

First I would definately recommend the tune. That will wake your car up in a big way. Second the gears help et but probably ar lowering your mph on top end. I know that was the case with a fox coupe I previously owned. Going from 3:08 to 3:55 cut et by 4 tenths and mph by 3. Finally mph is often hindered by altitude. I doubt this is the case if you are in NJ.

Spend money on a tune and you will be happy.:nice:

Bamachips tune will fix you right up.... Op for the RACE tune and WOW you'll see...Also what tires are you running ...? How much seat time behind the wheel do you have ..?? Factor in all that !

+1 on getting a tuner. With it you'll be able to raise the redline to 6800 rpm, shift at 6500, and that should enable you to cross the finish line in 3rd. That will eliminate the 3-4 shift, which can decrease the car's momentum and thus reduce the trap speed. And it may also lower the e.t.

I agree on the tune advice. I had the Ford "performance" tune before I went with brenspeed. Huge improvement.

Are you hitting the traps in 4th with stock gear?

I hit the traps in 3rd with 3.55 and stock redline.

Generally, the more traction you have, the lower your trap speed will be with the same mods.
"Deep staging", having the top set, pre-stage lights go out, will generally give you a better reaction time, but slower E.T. and MPH as you lose roll out where your car builds momentum before starting the clock.
So to me, "shallow staging" would be where you just move far enough up to have the bottom set of stage lights flicker. That will give you slower reaction times, but allow for quicker E.T. and faster trap speed as you now allowed your car that extra bit of movement before starting the clock.
The starting line, reaction time, E.T. and MPH really are all "a matter of inches". Therefore takes quite a bit of practice.

yeah, i guess i really need to get tuned.

i'm on stock tires, and this is my first time down to the track that i'm talking about.

i plan on going down this saturday. i need seat time, and i'm pretty much addicted to drag racing now. haha.

kevan, i've got 4.10s. what are you shifting at? the only thing i dont have that you do is the tune, and seat time.

john, i didn't even think about the fact that the lights dont go until i trip the beams, and with shallow staging i'm going to trip the beams later. so i'll already have some momentum by the time i hit the beams so giving me a faster ET, so i have a better advantage of staging shallow.

i will have to make sure i get the tuner by february. local tracks close at the end of november, and by the time i have that much extra cash to blow, the track will be just closing when i order it. that + an aluminum 1 piece drive shaft i should be set.

Yeah, I believe I will be practicing the "shallow" staging as our club has private T&T so reaction times don't hurt you.
Although there is one of the club supporters that will usually put up $50 for the best reaction time:D:D

yeah, i guess i really need to get tuned.

i'm on stock tires, and this is my first time down to the track that i'm talking about.

i plan on going down this saturday. i need seat time, and i'm pretty much addicted to drag racing now. haha.

kevan, i've got 4.10s. what are you shifting at? the only thing i dont have that you do is the tune, and seat time.

john, i didn't even think about the fact that the lights dont go until i trip the beams, and with shallow staging i'm going to trip the beams later. so i'll already have some momentum by the time i hit the beams so giving me a faster ET, so i have a better advantage of staging shallow.

i will have to make sure i get the tuner by february. local tracks close at the end of november, and by the time i have that much extra cash to blow, the track will be just closing when i order it. that + an aluminum 1 piece drive shaft i should be set.

With the 4.10s and tune I am shifting in the 6200 range and hit the traps toward the top of 4th

IMHO tires alone will probably buy you 3-5 tenths based on my experience with my car, your mods and based on your 60' time.
I'm not sure how much time the tune will buy you, but the butt dyno says worthwhile.
And the best part is getting to practice :D

With the 4.10s and tune I am shifting in the 6200 range and hit the traps toward the top of 4th

IMHO tires alone will probably buy you 3-5 tenths based on my experience with my car, your mods and based on your 60' time.
I'm not sure how much time the tune will buy you, but the butt dyno says worthwhile.
And the best part is getting to practice :D

i planned on nittos, or MTs. what size tire do you have on your car? i'm afraid i'll go too tall of a tire and hurt myself there.

i don't think i could shift at 6200 right now, with the stock rev limiter in place only having 50 rpms of space,once i bump it up more with a tune i should be good though.

i'm going this weekend, its fun ford weekend or something like that. hopefully its not horribly busy for racing.

Before you do anything, what kinds of Density Altitude( DA ) are you running at? Your car might be bang on but your DA is the reason for your low trap speed.

What kind of track prep is done at your track? If the track is well prepped, get yourself a set of 275/40R17 Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radial. If the track is not prepped, get yourself a set of 26/11.5/17 Mickey Thompson ET Street tires. I run the 26/11.5/17 ET Street, they are similar sized to the Drag Radial I mentioned as well. You won't be too tall with those tires...

i planned on nittos, or MTs. what size tire do you have on your car? i'm afraid i'll go too tall of a tire and hurt myself there.

i don't think i could shift at 6200 right now, with the stock rev limiter in place only having 50 rpms of space,once i bump it up more with a tune i should be good though.

i'm going this weekend, its fun ford weekend or something like that. hopefully its not horribly busy for racing.

I am using the M/T 26x11.5 R17 ET streets @ 14psi. Getting good hook (still some spin) also getting some wheelspin inside the tire.
These are shorter than stock. I would personally have preferred to go with a bit taller tire but these work well.

You should knock a few tenths off that 60'

Before you do anything, what kinds of Density Altitude( DA ) are you running at? Your car might be bang on but your DA is the reason for your low trap speed.

What kind of track prep is done at your track? If the track is well prepped, get yourself a set of 275/40R17 Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radial. If the track is not prepped, get yourself a set of 26/11.5/17 Mickey Thompson ET Street tires. I run the 26/11.5/17 ET Street, they are similar sized to the Drag Radial I mentioned as well. You won't be too tall with those tires...

just looked it up, density altitude for that day at the time i made that pass, was -553.

the track is one of the better prepped tracks from what i've heard. .

i think when i go with a tire i'm going to go with regular et streets. i have a spare set of rims that i'll be mounting them on. so i'll only throw them on at the track.

maybe i'll go with a 27 inch tire.

your saying the actual tire is spinning around the rim? damn, i didn't realize it would do it at 14 psi. i figured it'd have to be lower then that. i wonder how my old tri bars would look with screws drilled. haha :D

just looked it up, density altitude for that day at the time i made that pass, was -553.

the track is one of the better prepped tracks from what i've heard. .

i think when i go with a tire i'm going to go with regular et streets. i have a spare set of rims that i'll be mounting them on. so i'll only throw them on at the track.

maybe i'll go with a 27 inch tire.

your saying the actual tire is spinning around the rim? damn, i didn't realize it would do it at 14 psi. i figured it'd have to be lower then that. i wonder how my old tri bars would look with screws drilled. haha :D

You are going to have a hard time finding a 27" Drag racing tire in a 17" Rim. If you had quite a few more mods, I would recommend a 28" M&H Drag Radial.

That being the case on the DA, then I would agree with those that say something is wrong. I am only trapping 100 - 101 MPH, but am also running in DAs over 2000 feet and usually over 3000 feet. The only time I have ever trapped 102 - 103 MPH is when I was still learning my 05 GT and shifted into 4th. I am willing to trade 1 - 2 MPH for a quicker E.T. and in my cars case it is about a .1 staying in 3rd but I also use a 3.55 gear set.