Whats wrong with my 94gt?

KTD SC

Jun 21, 2003
New York
Ok so last summer i installed a 94-95 Cobra manifold on my 94 GT, i already had a UPR o/r x-pipe, MAC flowpath catback, and 8 inch ford racing wires, and autolite double plats. After the manifold install the car ran realy strong with no problems.

I got about halfway into winter and the car started to detonate realy bad only when i got on it in 3rd, 4th, and 5th, and it lost alot of power as it was detonating, so i finally got around to changing the sparkplugs about a week ago and it still detonates realy bad. Iv also tried to lower the timing and its below 10 degrees so i dont know what else it could be.

I was on the highway about 4 days ago and i started getting on it, and before i knew it the car was overheating like hell, but when i start driving normaly again the car stays pretty cold, only when i get on it does it overheat realy badly

Anyway 3 days ago i started my car before i was gona goto work when my low coolant light came on, i checked the resovour and i was missing a good amout of coolant out of there, so i filled it with water and its been fine for 2 days now. Im just hoping i didnt blow a head gasket.

Any help would be awsome, because i cant figure out whats wrong.

Thanx
-ken

• Sponsors (?)

Start with simple maintenance issues first just to rule them out.

Hows the waterpump? Can you tell where the coolant is leaking? Cap? pump? oil? thermostat housing? hose?

When i had my '95 i had a very bad overheating problem and pinging issue. My problem was related to a bad coolant temp sensor. I replaced that one $15 sensor and it stopped overheating and the pinging mostly disappeared. You may want to look into that?? That however does not explain the coolant loss. Some cars just leak coolant. My current car does.

Ken, have you cleaned the MAF? i would lose the plats, but that is just me.

also, with the cruddy tune of the SN cars, it can really help to go through and clean sensors, particularily the ECT and ACT (like Chris said)

what temps are you actually running at? what stat rating?

with the coolant bottle, it can help to clean the sensor up. the sediment in the bottle of the reservoir and/or crud in the system dirties up the contacts on the sensor.

good luck.