Whats Wrong??????

l.groves

Apr 5, 2003
Florida
I recently installed a 94/95 cobra upper and lower. On the testing run in it started overheating and blowing all the coollant out of the reserve. I tried every air bleeding method and ended up with white smoke out the exhaust. I Finally decided to remove the heads and change the head gaskets. Put her back together and same problem but without the white smoke. The heater core stops blowing heat and up the temp goes. I have a 180 thermostat and power pulleys. My motor is a 91 with original heads and changed everything else over to 94/95. With an open cap fill it keeps bubbling. Any and all ideas welcome!!!!!!!!! :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

l.groves said:
I recently installed a 94/95 cobra upper and lower. On the testing run in it started overheating and blowing all the coollant out of the reserve. I tried every air bleeding method and ended up with white smoke out the exhaust. I Finally decided to remove the heads and change the head gaskets. Put her back together and same problem but without the white smoke. The heater core stops blowing heat and up the temp goes. I have a 180 thermostat and power pulleys. My motor is a 91 with original heads and changed everything else over to 94/95. With an open cap fill it keeps bubbling. Any and all ideas welcome!!!!!!!!! :bang:

Wow. That really sucks man. How soon after you installed the intake manifold did the problem occur. Was it immediate?

Assuming it was, My guessis you have an intake manifold gasket leak. The best way to test for that is to spray carb cleaner around the edges of the intake manifold. You should see some bubbling if you hit a leak. The car will try to suck in the carb cleaner. Someone else might have a better test for this, but at the time this is all I know of.

Let us know what happens.
Scott

94 GT Must. said:
^ scott you plan on getting low pros and something like 5 star rims for your car?

and how much you pay? just curious... i just bought a 94 GT for 10...

:OT:
Wow. 10 is a lot for a GT. How many miles did it have? I only paid 7500 w/ 72k miles.

Oh yeah, I definately plan to get some new rims. I love the 95 Cobra R rims. Everyone has them, but I still love them. But I might actually get some rims off of my brothers 03GT. He wants new rims, so I might take his when he sells his. But I love the 95 cobra's!

I am still don't know whether or not to get the 17" or 18" rims.

Back on topic. Did you try spraying carb cleaner around the manifold seals while the car was running. If you see bubbling, you have a leak. And that would explain the white smoke. Running really lean.
Scott

I let the car sit for a day before bolting up the upper and started her up with the same thing happening. I haven't tried the carb cleaner yet dumbo. I put rtv around the water ports too. As I said, there is no white smoke now.

sounds like its airlocked....bout how much water/anti would you say went in??? takes quite abit to top em off...

Try removing the temp sensor on the intake, do you see fluid??? if not, then fill it, from the radiator til she o/flows out the sensor hole, pop the sensor back in....then fill up the coolant tank to the Hot line...go for a ride...Check the o/flow bottle...if its down low, then fill it back to the Hot line...you should be good to go...

if all was in working order before the install, odds are its airlocked...i recently has a mother of a time with mine....the above seems to nail it the first time....

To me there is no reason to let it set o/nite...you would have to have one monster bead of RTV somewhere??? i have no idea where you'd goop that much RTV for an intake swap...

Did you use 4 studs/bolts on each corner of the lower to line it up at re-assy???

Does your oil look like it has water in it again????

Hope this helps...

I removed the temp sensor when I filled it up and water came out of the hole. I plugged it back in and filled the neck up. Are all the bolts for the lower the same size? Would hooking the egr up backwards cause this? Would a bad water pump cause this, I bought a used one when I assembled it and didn't have problems when I assembled it but I notice if the rpms are kept up the heater still blows hot air when I tested it once.

l.groves said:
I removed the temp sensor when I filled it up and water came out of the hole. I plugged it back in and filled the neck up. Are all the bolts for the lower the same size? Would hooking the egr up backwards cause this? Would a bad water pump cause this, I bought a used one when I assembled it and didn't have problems when I assembled it but I notice if the rpms are kept up the heater still blows hot air when I tested it once.

#1...did you fill the coolant tank??? Have you checked it after a test run??? if the system is low, its gonna suck coolant from the tank to top it off...if you come back from a test run and the tank is low...she needs more coolant...it may do this 1 or 2 times to fill the system...thats why i mentioned to fill it to the Hot line and go for a run and then check it...it will tell you how low the system is...it may suck the entire tank down to fill the system...

#2...the bolts are all the same size..

#3...EGR backwards...I doubt it...not related to my knowledge???

#4...heater...sounds airlocked...

Believe me when I say I filled it every way there is. I even ran it for about 15 minutes with the cap off and keeping water going into it but it bubbles and boils out pretty high like there is gas pressurizing the system. I'm thinking a crack some where in the block or a head. I am going to try and run it without the thermostat tomorrow and maybe even take all the spark plugs out and crank it over to see if there is any coollant coming through.

this summer i wanted to change my tstat....dildo job, right. wrong...i ran into exactly what your describing...right down to the water boiling out and all over the place...i was like...W.T.F... :bang: i could not get the freakin thing to take...i spent like 2 days friggin around....figured the rads blocked, the pumps bad, changed the tstat again...no dice...i started thinking the same as you...

finally on the 3rd day... were talking 3 days here for a freaking tstat change..

I drained the radiator (car not running), popped the intake sensor, filled it again from the radiator til it came up the intake hole started the car...filled the radiator til it was an 1" below the top, put the cap on, filled coolant o/flow halfway...went for a ride...checked the tank....it was almost 1/2 gone, filled it to the HOT mark, one more road test...she was good to go...

Did you get the head gaskets on correctly regarding the coolant passages? If wrong, the coolant ports will be covered???

the 91 takes a different rotation unit than the SN95s??? you got the Fox unit?? Theres a difference in the pumps..

It blows the coolant out thru the o/flow tank???

I'm not sure if this is what would happen, but...

What if the radiator cap was stuck open? As the system builds up pressure, it would just send it to the overflow tank, and then out. Just like if you leave the cap off, it 'boils' over. Worth a look at least, or maybe a new cap.

Rick

are you absolutely sure that you hooked up the two lines comingoff of the water pump in the right order one goes to the coolant lines and one into the thermostat housing, i don't know if hooking them up backwards would cause this or not, but alls i can think of

jason

That was the first thing I did was go out and buy a new thermostat and a new cap. Same thing. I have the complete 95 set up on the motor. Do the water pumps flow a different way? I bought 91 head gaskets so does my 95 water pump flow in the reverse of 91's and would that mean the head gaskets need the water ports open in the front instead? I'm constantly loosing coollant through the overflow and the upper hose is pressurized pretty tight then I bleed off the cap with air blowing off into the reserve tank bubbling away no matter how many times I try to fill it. That includes pulling off the temp sensor andletting water flow out of it and then installing it back and refilling it. I'v done it over and over again. Could there be a reverse in flow causing this? I don't think that would make it get air in the coollant line.

i am unsure what exactly it would cause i was just thinking since these lines feed your heater core and you said it would quit blowing hot air after a while, i just figured maybe this could be a reason. The 87-93 and 94-95 waterpumps turn in a different direction i believe, go back and look at the package the head gaskets came in that should tell you whether they are on there right, i know that one of the holes on the front of my engine were open i just don't remember which side it was.

jason

Saw this and and wondered if you could help?
My 95 Started getting warm and sending to overflow tank.
we have changed the thermostat checked and added fluid and bled air out has not heat either.
not water in oil but sometimes has steam from exhaust. does not do this if just sitting in yard running only when driven and starts pumping into overflow before overheats. I feel like I am going in circles.
Please Help????

mo_dingo said:
:OT:
Wow. 10 is a lot for a GT. How many miles did it have? I only paid 7500 w/ 72k miles.

Oh yeah, I definately plan to get some new rims. I love the 95 Cobra R rims. Everyone has them, but I still love them. But I might actually get some rims off of my brothers 03GT. He wants new rims, so I might take his when he sells his. But I love the 95 cobra's!

I am still don't know whether or not to get the 17" or 18" rims.
Scott

well the car was actually going for 13,999 origionally then came down to 11 then i talked him down to 10.. and remember im talking Canadian money too...

and yeah the 95 cobra's are pretty nice, i have 18' 5 star momo's... 400 a peice.... but they came with the car when i bought it so its money saved as i was gonna get the EXACT rims no matter which mustang i bought....

but yeah, rims and low pro's with a roll bar and your cars a beauty...

lol and sorry for all the off topic chat i been doin in here... im new :-/