Wheel and Tire Setup

Hi everyone! My names Antonio I'm from Cali and I'm new to the Mustang Gang :) I have a 2001 GT currently and I've been interested in getting a new set of wheels, tires, and affordable suspension system to really make my car pop. I currently have the stock Bullitt wheels which I believe are 17 by 8 and I'm running 245/45/17 tires on all four corners. I wanted to go for that staggered look but I don't currently know a whole lot about that and if my car would fit that. I'm also thinking about going for a more dropped look to make it look like a an actual sports car and not a monster truck which I'm hoping to achieve with a set of lowering springs. If anyone has any advice or would like to share their builds, feel free and thank y'all very much.

• Sponsors (?)

Hi everyone! My names Antonio I'm from Cali and I'm new to the Mustang Gang :) I have a 2001 GT currently and I've been interested in getting a new set of wheels, tires, and affordable suspension system to really make my car pop. I currently have the stock Bullitt wheels which I believe are 17 by 8 and I'm running 245/45/17 tires on all four corners. I wanted to go for that staggered look but I don't currently know a whole lot about that and if my car would fit that. I'm also thinking about going for a more dropped look to make it look like a an actual sports car and not a monster truck which I'm hoping to achieve with a set of lowering springs. If anyone has any advice or would like to share their builds, feel free and thank y'all very much.
Welcome! There are lots of options for staggered wheels and lowering springs that will fit your 2001 GT. Many people like the look of staggered wheels, and having their car super low to the ground. But, from a handling standpoint, a Mustang that's too low, or one with staggered wheels, will actually handle worse. Staggered wheels add understeer to a car that already suffers from understeer. Going too low with your spring choice will limit suspension travel, which can lead to understeer and oversteer in certain driving situations.

If you're looking to improve the handling as well as the looks of the car, it's worth considering a square setup and springs that don't drop the car as low.

I have a YouTube channel dedicated to autocrossing 79-04 Mustangs. Two of the main goals for an autocross car are fitting the largest rims and tires possible, and getting the car to handle its best. There's information in both of these videos that will help inform your decision...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHK5vd7sRx0&t

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FpptiBXBio&t

If you have any questions, please ask here or on YouTube. I'm always happy to help.

Since I'm in a mood I'm going to comment on this subject.
Most car owners that are looking for that 'cool factor' (not with performance/ride considered) with lowering and wheels and tires find out after the fact that their 'cool look' is a pain to drive. Too low, tires/wheels that rub and can't turn or even transition a driveway.
Now if it has to be towed I can say that there will be damage in far more instances than not. Even with a flat bed.
Then you have a bunch of money in a pain in the ass to drive 'cool' car.
Lots to think about. Be willing to compromise.