Wheel Bolt/Stud twisting and slipping

jwater7

Oct 9, 2004
Hi all,

I broke a wheel bolt off when I was trying to get the lug nut off. So I'm trying to replace it now...

I bought a new bolt, pulled it through, twisted another nut onto it to "pull" it into the hole but it's not snug enough.

It's slipping and turning which makes me thing the hole got "stripped" somehow. Is there a way to repair this without replacing the whole thing? Maybe like a thread locker or something?

Thanks for any info or experience you have on the matter,

• Sponsors (?)

Most parts stores will have a variety of different wheel studs with the right thread pitch for our cars. I know advance does. I would bring the one you have, have them mic the od of the splines on the one thats a loose fit and then look for a similar size one with the same threads that has a slightly larger od on the splines. Thats just my opinion though. Im sure youll figure something out.

wouldn't that cause an out of balance issue? your adding weight to a particular spot of the hub, obviously not much but still. :shrug:

Do you have a balance problem when you break a wheel stud off? Not when driving on the street. maybe for the track when the speeds and forces are a bunch more. i think a broken wheel stud would weigh more than a couple of tach welds.

double check and make sure the wheel stud is seeted all the way sometimes those things are a littlke tuff to get in get it started with a hammer and chissel and then if you have one put an impact gum on it to seet it all the way if not just use a 1/2 inch ratchet