Wheel Hub Issues?

jrp27540

Sep 9, 2016
So I just overhauled the front breaks, as well as changed the wheel bearings and races. After putting the car back together, while it was up on the jack stands still, I grabbed the front tires(one hand on top and one hand on the bottom) and gave both tires a solid tug in and out(pushing inward on the top and pulling outward on the bottom). There is play within the hub; feels similar to a bad baring. I havent had a car with this style of bearings inside the hub. I was suppressed at how loose the retaining nut torque specs are(10-15 Ft-lbs). I know its the hub moving because I removed the dust cover cap while I had the tire on and could see the hub moving but hte spindle was not. Do the wheels hubs have a little play by nature? I wouldn't think so....but I dont know what I could have done wrong....

Any ideas? Id hate to burn up the new bearings or damage the spindle.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, I did preload the bearings. I took everything off and preloaded them again. This time I left the retaining nuts torqued a bit tighter this time and no play. Everything felt good and solid. Thanks everyone!

I snug the spindle nut tight enough to get zero play. If the cotter pin lines up, good to go. If not I back the spindle nut off just enough to get the cotter pin in. The lock ring can be moved in various positions to aid pin line up too.