Wheel stud question...

go-stang5.0

Jan 27, 2003
Glenview,Il
Whats the thread info on the factory wheel studs? I have a damaged thread on one of my rear wheel studs and it destroys lugnuts upon install. I was hoping I could get a tap and die set and chase the threads hopefully straightening or removing the damaged threads. The damaged threads are almost at the tip of the stud so whenever I install a nut it starts stripping almost immediately and I cant get any reasonable torque on it. Or if anyone has another way of fixiing this lemme know (aside from replacing the stud).

• Sponsors (?)

i got this off of the napa website, i had once been told that the studs were different for v6 and v8 mustangs, but i couldnt why that would be. in any event this is the info they gave. FWIW i know you said aside from replacing, but i would just put a new one on, they are cheap and easy to do.

Original Equipment in Fit & Function
Thread Size:1/2"-20
Overall Length:1-31/32"
Knurl Diameter:0.615"
Shoulder Length:17/32"
Head Marking:368

I will prollr replace it but I have a track day on sunday and I wont get to it before then. Plus its only half a rotation of 1 thread thats fugged up so I may just file it or use a grinding bit on my dremel if I can't find a die to chase the thread. Missing half of 1 thread is not gonna do any harm.