Wheels rub when making U-turns

js95stang5.0

Founding Member
Jan 5, 2002
California
I have a 93 LX 5.0, and it has 17x8 cobra R's. When im making a u-turn the wheels rub. Im not talking about the tires, but the actual wheels. I have never had a car do this before, is there anything I can do to stop it. If the car has been lowered could that be the cause of it

• Sponsors (?)

js95stang5.0 said:
I have a 93 LX 5.0, and it has 17x8 cobra R's. When im making a u-turn the wheels rub. Im not talking about the tires, but the actual wheels. I have never had a car do this before, is there anything I can do to stop it. If the car has been lowered could that be the cause of it

Well part of that has to do with a car that suspension was designed back in 1979 when 14" wheels were the norm. There is not a lot of room up front. 15" wheels were fit and in '91 Ford had to redesign the fenders to fit 16" wheels in there and they also installed rack limiters

With 17" wheels, you will get rub. I have 17x8 wheels ona lowered car and mine rub all the time with the wheel cranked. Nothing you can do except learn to make 3-point turns or turn with your right foot.

I have 17x9" '03 Cobra's on my '93 LX, they used to rub a little at full lock, put a 1/4" spacer in and it is fine. Does not stick out or look funny at all, no one would even know there were spacers there if I did not tell them.

Just make sure you get a quality set.

Or, press right foot firmly, lift left foot, spin wheel furiously in desired direction...............instant U-turn!

js95stang5.0 said:
yes, the actual wheel

Something's not right. Does the a-arm look physically bent or anything look funny? The wheels should not even be close unless you have 13" brakes, and even then they should be fine -- unless you have incorrect backspacing -- but Cobra R's should be fine.

I have 17x9s and the wheel rubs on the A arm, I ground the A arm a little bit where it hits, now when youre making a U turn really slow (no weight transfer) they rub, but other than that their OK, I guess I just don't really care too much anymore.

You can get steering rack limiters from FORD its actually a stock item I believe on the 93 Cobras. Its a white c clip looking thing that goes on your steering rack under the rubber boot. Itll stop the rubbing but will also cut down your turning radius. When I had the 17X9 wheels on my car I put those in, it did suck to make U-turns but it didnt chew up the inner wheel.

Just grind the jacking pad off or install rack limiters. When I had 17 x 8's I had no rub. Now that I have 17 x 9's I get rub even with rack limiters but I may need to add one more. It only rubs when I make a hard left turn.

T-Stang and 9 Deuce are absolutely correct. You can adjust it out so your wheel does not grind on the swaybay I am assuming. Happens a lot.
Saleen adjust's all mustangs 86-current so that their wheels combos work on all of their cars. They are all lowered with springs, and every wheel from Saleen for every year car has a wheel that is bigger than the factory Ford wheel, some exceptions for Cobras and wheel width. YOu just lose a bit of steering radius. you wont even care.You could go the wheel spacer route. Nothing wrong with that, It's America, but you don't need to.