Wheels: Saleen Replicas vs. Authentic

Mar 10, 2004
558
4
18
45
Berlin, NJ
#1
There is a pretty big difference between prices in these wheels. Anyone know the quality difference? Are the authentic rims really worth the extra money? Or is it just paying for the name? I am looking at the 18 x 9 and 18 x 10 replicas. Very close to purchasing them.. Help.. Anyone see both wheels?
 
  • Sponsors (?)

Mar 20, 2004
193
0
0
#2
I was concern with the quality issue that Saleen had with their chrome rims so I bought a set of Hyper black rims. They are awesome
 
Mar 10, 2004
558
4
18
45
Berlin, NJ
#3
2001Saleen181 said:
I was concern with the quality issue that Saleen had with their chrome rims so I bought a set of Hyper black rims. They are awesome
Yours are not authentic, right? They look damn good.. What is the difference between Hyper Black and Chrome?? Is the Hyper kind of a dark chrome look???
 
Mar 20, 2004
193
0
0
#4
No, these are not authentic Saleen wheels. They are 18x9 fronts and 18x10 rears with the correct offsets.

Hyper black is a powder coating. It will never flake like chrome. Basically it is painted on and bake for endurance. It is also clearcoated, so your brake dust comes off easier and will not corrode the paint.

Got them from e-bay for 729.00 for 4. Price vs. Saleen Name.

Heres another closer look.
 
Mar 10, 2004
558
4
18
45
Berlin, NJ
#6
2001Saleen181 said:
No, these are not authentic Saleen wheels. They are 18x9 fronts and 18x10 rears with the correct offsets.

Hyper black is a powder coating. It will never flake like chrome. Basically it is painted on and bake for endurance. It is also clearcoated, so your brake dust comes off easier and will not corrode the paint.

Got them from e-bay for 729.00 for 4. Price vs. Saleen Name.

Heres another closer look.
Your a huge help!! Thanks for the pics and advice.. I think you sold me on the hyper blacks... I'll hit ebay now! --- Next is a S/C ---
 
Mar 10, 2004
558
4
18
45
Berlin, NJ
#7
2001Saleen181 said:
No, these are not authentic Saleen wheels. They are 18x9 fronts and 18x10 rears with the correct offsets.

Hyper black is a powder coating. It will never flake like chrome. Basically it is painted on and bake for endurance. It is also clearcoated, so your brake dust comes off easier and will not corrode the paint.

Got them from e-bay for 729.00 for 4. Price vs. Saleen Name.

Heres another closer look.
By the way.. What size tires do you have on the front / rear? How do they fit?? Would you change anything?
 

99BRINGIT

Founding Member
Dec 27, 2000
1,153
1
0
Oklahoma City, OK
#8
Here is a picture of an Authentic Saleen wheel, and a replica wheel. Although, the tires are ALOT different, you can see how the two wheels look damn near identical. Tomorrow, I will post a pick of a brand new set of the replicas, that i just got. But here is a pic for now. The BIG tire, is on the replica. And the small tire is on the real Saleen.

 
Mar 20, 2004
193
0
0
#9
I have 295/35/18 rears and 265/35/18 fronts. This is the same set up as the Saleen extreem.

FYI- Lower profile tires are mainly for road coarses. My rear tires are at 30 pounds of air for traction.
 

PDubs

Founding Member
Feb 15, 2002
1,138
0
36
Always farging hot in Texas
#10
Get the replicas, I had them on my GT and they are so close to the real ones. The Saleen center caps fit nice too.
 

BadMoFo

I will sleep with a Mod for a CT
Founding Member
Sep 28, 2001
2,911
0
0
New Bern NC
Visit site
#11
get the replicas, very nice and their customer service blows saleen away.
 

BadazGT01

New Member
Apr 6, 2004
1
0
0
#12
If you worry about the cost then go with the Replicas...no one will be able to tell. You're pretty much paying for the name if you buy the authentic.
 
Mar 10, 2004
558
4
18
45
Berlin, NJ
#13
2001Saleen181 said:
I have 295/35/18 rears and 265/35/18 fronts. This is the same set up as the Saleen extreem.

FYI- Lower profile tires are mainly for road coarses. My rear tires are at 30 pounds of air for traction.
I am setting my car up for road courses as well.. You have no problems with rubbing the wells or exaust setup with the 295s? I also have the eibach pro kit setup.. These tires will still fit?
 

Fat Albert

New Member
Mar 23, 2004
4
0
0
#14
Here are what my hypercoated replicas look like...

$599 from ebay.



 
Mar 20, 2004
193
0
0
#15
No problem what so ever. Low profile tires do tend to be sensitive to road cracks but its not that bad. They are also easier to clean.
 

cerp

New Member
Mar 14, 2004
70
0
0
#16
Dante makes saleens too

:nice: I seen the ones that Dante makes an 18x10.5 rear saleen replica wheel i seen these in polished at the wheel shop and they are just nice especially if you got them mounted on some nitto D.R.s
and yes 18 x 10.5 is correct
 

Similar threads