Wheels: Saleen Replicas vs. Authentic

reeber

10 Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
Berlin, NJ
There is a pretty big difference between prices in these wheels. Anyone know the quality difference? Are the authentic rims really worth the extra money? Or is it just paying for the name? I am looking at the 18 x 9 and 18 x 10 replicas. Very close to purchasing them.. Help.. Anyone see both wheels?

• Sponsors (?)

2001Saleen181 said:
I was concern with the quality issue that Saleen had with their chrome rims so I bought a set of Hyper black rims. They are awesome
Yours are not authentic, right? They look damn good.. What is the difference between Hyper Black and Chrome?? Is the Hyper kind of a dark chrome look???

No, these are not authentic Saleen wheels. They are 18x9 fronts and 18x10 rears with the correct offsets.

Hyper black is a powder coating. It will never flake like chrome. Basically it is painted on and bake for endurance. It is also clearcoated, so your brake dust comes off easier and will not corrode the paint.

Got them from e-bay for 729.00 for 4. Price vs. Saleen Name.

Heres another closer look.

2001Saleen181 said:
No, these are not authentic Saleen wheels. They are 18x9 fronts and 18x10 rears with the correct offsets.

Hyper black is a powder coating. It will never flake like chrome. Basically it is painted on and bake for endurance. It is also clearcoated, so your brake dust comes off easier and will not corrode the paint.

Your a huge help!! Thanks for the pics and advice.. I think you sold me on the hyper blacks... I'll hit ebay now! --- Next is a S/C ---

2001Saleen181 said:

By the way.. What size tires do you have on the front / rear? How do they fit?? Would you change anything?

Here is a picture of an Authentic Saleen wheel, and a replica wheel. Although, the tires are ALOT different, you can see how the two wheels look damn near identical. Tomorrow, I will post a pick of a brand new set of the replicas, that i just got. But here is a pic for now. The BIG tire, is on the replica. And the small tire is on the real Saleen.

344639_176_full.jpg

I have 295/35/18 rears and 265/35/18 fronts. This is the same set up as the Saleen extreem.

FYI- Lower profile tires are mainly for road coarses. My rear tires are at 30 pounds of air for traction.

2001Saleen181 said:
I have 295/35/18 rears and 265/35/18 fronts. This is the same set up as the Saleen extreem.

FYI- Lower profile tires are mainly for road coarses. My rear tires are at 30 pounds of air for traction.

I am setting my car up for road courses as well.. You have no problems with rubbing the wells or exaust setup with the 295s? I also have the eibach pro kit setup.. These tires will still fit?

Dante makes saleens too

:nice: I seen the ones that Dante makes an 18x10.5 rear saleen replica wheel i seen these in polished at the wheel shop and they are just nice especially if you got them mounted on some nitto D.R.s
and yes 18 x 10.5 is correct