When did Fastback production start?

• Sponsors (?)

One of the Knoxville, TN Ford dealerships won that at the Barrett-Jackson auction and gave it away as a promotion. I believe it was then sold again at the BJ by the woman who won it from the Ford dealership. Pretty slick movie car. Has all kinds of "James Bond" gear in it.

October 1964, I believe. They were building one for Goldfinger, but it wasn't ready when they started shooting in mid '64 so a convertible was used.

I read somewhere that both the fastback bodystyle and the Pony interior were not available until April of '65 as kind of an "anniversary" thing. But this can't be true, because my old '65 fastback had a build date of Aug of '64 and it had the Pony interior as well.

I read somewhere that both the fastback bodystyle and the Pony interior were not available until April of '65 as kind of an "anniversary" thing. But this can't be true, because my old '65 fastback had a build date of Aug of '64 and it had the Pony interior as well.

Your right about the availability, the car wasn't available until April 17, 65 but they had to build plenty before them before unvailing them to the public. I didn't realize they made them that early though.

Kevin

There's no indication whether any '65 or '66 is a GT based on VIN number. There's no records that can be used to verify original options like the GT package. A K-code motor does not indicate the car also had the GT option package.

You may be confused by the sequence numbers. The first recorded fastback I cited (250009) is a Dearborn car (VIN second character of F). Dearborn's '65 production began with sequence number 250001. The car you cited (188873) is a San Jose car (VIN second character of R). San Jose's '65 production began with sequence number 125001. Each production facility maintained its own sequence numbers, so it's possible that the same sequence number could have been used at all three facilities (Dearborn, San Jose, and Metuchen) at very different times.

There's no indication whether any '65 or '66 is a GT based on VIN number. There's no records that can be used to verify original options like the GT package. A K-code motor does not indicate the car also had the GT option package.

You may be confused by the sequence numbers. The first recorded fastback I cited (250009) is a Dearborn car (VIN second character of F). Dearborn's '65 production began with sequence number 250001. The car you cited (188873) is a San Jose car (VIN second character of R). San Jose's '65 production began with sequence number 125001. Each production facility maintained its own sequence numbers, so it's possible that the same sequence number could have been used at all three facilities (Dearborn, San Jose, and Metuchen) at very different times.

That makes sense, learn something new every day. Thanks

Kevin

According to the Mustang Production Guide, the first known production fastback is 5F09K250009 with a scheduled build date of 01H, August 1, 1964.

Wow, now I wish I'd kept mine. It was built on Aug, 14th so it must've had a farly low number. BTW, I'm always hesitant to post that on mine since everyone assumes none were built until '65 and not having the car or the vin# anymore, I can't back it up with facts and my word seems...well.."made up". Thanks for posting your info.