When did Mustangs have t-tops?

saving

Aug 27, 2004
Hey I saw a Mustang driving around yesterday with T-tops. I thought it looked really good with the tops off. I really like T-tops and did not know Mustangs came with T-tops ever. When did they have T-tops as an option and how common is it?

Do they have the same structural rigidity issues as convertibles? Are there any other issues with T-top Mustangs?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

They stop making t-top mustangs in 1988 hatchs. But I do believe that they started making them in 1981. Hatchs & notchbacks. The Notchback ones are really hard to find. I have only seen 2 of them. Some kid I know owns it and the other is this pic. Most will take them and do the 87-93 upgrade body wise.

Attachments

• T-top.jpg
    T-top.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 37,033
Jkstang78 said:
They stop making t-top mustangs in 1988 hatchs. But I do believe that they started making them in 1981. Hatchs & notchbacks. The Notchback ones are really hard to find. I have only seen 2 of them. Some kid I know owns it and the other is this pic. Most will take them and do the 87-93 upgrade body wise.

They stopped making notchbacks with T-tops in 83.

gregpro50 said:
Not true. I had an '87 notch T-top.

Did you run the vin on it? I'm not calling you a liar but I couldn't be more positive the last t-top notch's were 83's. Like said above, alot of people convert the 4eyed cars to the aero nose.

If you don't know what to do with that Capri, you need to hook me up with it :D

gregpro50 said:
The notches with T-tops were carried throught the same years as the hatches although they were alot more rare. The '87 I had was a rusty white 4cyl car with a red interior. It was an '87 though.

The Capri is more work than I want to get into. It was an un-planned buy from Ebay.

View attachment 516142

Not more work than I'd want to get into :D

I'm a Capri nut.

gregpro50 said:
Oh it looks nice in the pics but it sat in a field for 8 yrs so it has rust. Only 103k orig miles though. I wanted the drivetrain for an indy pace car project coming up.

Then it needs lots of my attention!

Go ahead and pull the drivetrain, and I'll take away the rest for you :)

seijirou said:
Did you run the vin on it? I'm not calling you a liar but I couldn't be more positive the last t-top notch's were 83's. Like said above, alot of people convert the 4eyed cars to the aero nose.

You are thinking about sunroofs.

You could get a sunroof in a 79-83 coupe, but 84-93 coupes didn't have that option.

T-tops could be had in every model from 82-88.

Check out post #3 if you want to see a picture of a T-toped 87+ coupe