When i launch hard, my car Hops hard!!!

OrangeMustangGt

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2002
Cape Cod, MA
HELP!! i have a problem, when i spin my tires, the rear end hops hard, like a vibrating feeling, my crap 89' truck does this, but i expect that. I believe i caused the problem by putting like 2 80lb sand bags in the trunk, only thing is wtf did i blow- lol? I replaced my main rear shocks with some $20 doller autozone ones, and it still does it!! i dont know if maby i ***ed up the quads, the springs, or my cheapass shocks arnt working, also when i go over say a speed bump, it bottoms hard!! help what did i mess up? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

When you get on her, the pinion is twisting and trying to climb the ring gear, which in affect turns the rear axle on a slant. Get a set of LCAs, preferably adjustables, and that will help you adjust your pinion angle so that doesn't happen anymore.

Joe

thanks guys/// only thing is this: I havent done anything as far as mods to my car, and it used to not do it before i overloaded teh rear, i basically was happy with it, just i want to fix what broke..you know return to stock lol anyyay if anyone speculates on what i broek that would be great

You didn't break anything. If anything the bushings on the rear control arms are worn out, which could contribute to the problem. The actual cause of the problem is the torque multiplication due to the rear axle ratio. The only way to fix it is to put the stock ring and pinion back in, or buy new, heavy duty lower control arms. The increased ratio of the ring and pinion set is much greater, which spins the pinion faster, which means the pinion is trying to climb the ring gear at a much faster rate, which twists the rear axle on an angle much more than when you had the stock ring and pinion in. Get it :D? New lower control arms will locate the rear axle with much more strength than the stockers, which will end the axle movement you are experiencing.

Joe

thanks!! Only thing is ive had the gears for since summer with no problems, till i loaded it, normallly i would go with you all but this is also a problem, when just driving over small bumps it will bottom hard!!! like a BOOM! so i really think i messed something up, but i dont want to throw loot at it untill maby some one can reccomend what could be wrong! thanks

If you really are insistent on the idea that you faulted the car by "overloading" it, take it to a shop. Joe is right about fixing the wheel hop, but he can't physically look at your car and check it out. Have a professional give you a free estimate.

Jon

Two things:

1. New quad shocks will help the wheel hop, and it'll cost a lot less in parts and labor than replacing the lower control arms.

2. If you're bottoming out, then make sure you have a working pinion snubber (and the plate that it hits, which is bolted to the differential with the same bolts that hold on the dog bone).

Dave

Missing the pinion snubber plate is definitely the cause of your bottoming out (I can attest to this from experience :D). For the two weeks I had mine off before reattaching it (need to buy shorter screws from a hardware store), I did not notice any wheel hop.

For a mostly stock suspension, I'd just replace the quads and be done with it. If you're planning on more serious suspension mods down the road, then perhaps ponying up for the lower control arms is a good idea.

Dave

Joes95GT said:
You didn't break anything. If anything the bushings on the rear control arms are worn out, which could contribute to the problem. The actual cause of the problem is the torque multiplication due to the rear axle ratio. The only way to fix it is to put the stock ring and pinion back in, or buy new, heavy duty lower control arms. The increased ratio of the ring and pinion set is much greater, which spins the pinion faster, which means the pinion is trying to climb the ring gear at a much faster rate, which twists the rear axle on an angle much more than when you had the stock ring and pinion in. Get it :D? New lower control arms will locate the rear axle with much more strength than the stockers, which will end the axle movement you are experiencing.

Joe

I am installing a set of 4.11 in my car, so what would I need to do to prevent axle hop here?

-Shaun